MX860 has an error 5700

Robert Burns

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MX860
Removed the side covers. Where do I find the 4 mounting screws to remove from them the chassis - and if I'm successful with that, is it worth to try to fix the problem or chuck the thing all together?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
On the old Canon printers 4 screws were holding the chassis to the bottom part of the enclosure, but on newer printers it might be 6 screws.

According to the service manual, which is found here, error 5700 means ASF cam sensor error, see pages 10/64 and 4/64 to 6/64 inclusive. The error might be caused by a scrap of paper.

The service manual is found on a server, that seems located in Botswana, and that might only be online during business hours. Time zone of Botswana = GMT + 2 hours. The server is often down, so if you get a time out error, try again later.

To get access to the printer chassis you will have to remove the scanner part before removing the rest of printer enclosure, not an easy task. Here a Canon MP830 is disassembled for absorber cleaning, It is not the same printer, but you might get some inspiration.

Some newer Canon printers have the chassis secured to the bottom of the casing by 6 screws instead of 4. Here is an instruction in German for disassembling a Canon iP4600/4700 for absorber change, and here is a Google translation to English. I think the print engine in the MX860 is the iP3600 which is mechanically similar to the iP4600, so this instruction might be useful to locate the well hidden screws.

Here is an image from the service manual showing the location of the ASF cam sensor:

MX860 sensors.jpg

I hope this helps.

Robert Burns

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MX860
PeterBJ,

Thanks for your time, but decided to bail on the fixing of that printer. You see I'm not adept with the technical stuff and I can easily see myself spending hours to see if I can fix the problem then busting a part or 7 on the way and being frustrated. Beside, that printer as probably 4 years old and only costs $100 bucks.
Following question, if you choose to address it: any ideas for me what to buy as a replacement printer? I used the one I have for printing documents, photos - the standard stuff. I thought the MX860 did a fine job with all of that. One thing I
didn't realize is the cost of the ink tanks was so high at the
time I bought it (finally found out why the unit was so cheap!)
Using your expertise, any thoughts about the next printer I should buy that saves $ on the ink, prints with quality, maybe
Bluetooth connected, scans and faxes - all of the things I had
with the old one I'm going to scrap. I'd like to not spend an arm and a leg doing it. Probably the fact that I bought the thing at Best Buy was not the best use of my dollars. Maybe find a good model on line, I don't know. Anyway, thanks again for your time to address my questions, and have a excellent day!

Bob