MX700 Will Not Print Black

jjboller

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I've had an MX700 for just under a year. It has worked fine for both photo and document printing. Nothing that is going to hang in a gallery but sufficient for my needs. About 2 weeks ago I replaced the black ink with a new canon cartridge and ever since it will not print black. I've tried running nozzle checks and a different ink tank, and nothing. It is as if the black just quit working. When I print or copy a B&W document the paper comes out completely blank. Color documents or photos are clearly missing the black ink from the mix. Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jacob

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
If you've had it for just under a year, you can probably take it to an authorized Canon repair center and have them fix it. Make sure they don't replace the whole printer because they will probably want to give you a newer, inferior model.

But if Canon will not cover it under warranty or you want to try to fix it yourself, the problem is probably that the black purge unit is not working. Take a flashlight and open the cover and look off to the right where the print head parks. You will see two black pads. The one on the right is for your color dye inks and the one on the left is for your pigment black ink. Use a syringe, eye dropper, or straw to deposit some Windex or other window cleaner (or just water) on both pads. Make sure the liquid remains on the pads. Close the cover. When the motor stops, open the cover again. See if the liquid has been sucked away on both pads. If not, you have a purge unit problem which will need to be fixed before you can proceed. Report what you find for more instructions. Do not remove the print head from the printer during this process.

tcsnyc

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey George,
Since I have the same problem here I will bump this up and hopefully get a solution.
Thus far I have flushed the print head with windex, tweezered out the pads and cleaned them and run a deep print head cleaning on the machine. As well as reinstalling the driver.
I just squirted the windex in the two pad areas and it appears that the color pad drained but the black did not. Ready to proceed, what suggestions do you have for me?
Thanks

tcsnyc

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ps- a few minutes later it now looks drained

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
jjboiler

Please check that you removed the tear off seal at the top corner of the new canon cartridge. If this seal is not removed ink will not come down to the heads.
You will also need to perform at least one head clean or more to restore the head afterwards.

If you print photos and choose glossy paper, the black cartridge is not used at all. If problems persist, then the issue is not with the black canon cartridge.

tcsnyc

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey mikling,
double checked and sticker is fully removed and clear to go.
regular text documents go to print and printer goes through the motion and noises of printing but not even a trace of black ink comes out. text documents come out blank. Test page shows everything normal except black is absent, no partial or anything

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Take the black cartridge out and squeeze on it a bit and then wick out some ink on a paper towel through the outlet. Next before replacing the cartridge check that there is a little rubber ring/seal where the outlet goes on top of inside the printer. If inks come out on the paper and after a head cleaning, and there is still no output on the nozzle check, then you will need to dig deeper into the printer mechanicals.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You should not print any photos or other documents until you get the nozzle check to show all your nozzles working or you run the risk of permanently burning some of the out. Only do nozzle checks until this is resolved.

I cannot tell from your posts if the pigment black purge pad is working. The best way to make sure that they are working is to start with your printer off. Turn it on and before doing anything else, put some liquid on the purge pads, close the cover and do a nozzle check. There should be a fairly long wait while a purge cycle is performed before the nozzle print actually happens. After it is done, open the cover and see if the liquid has been sucked away. Let us know the outcome.

tcsnyc

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok so here is where it stands. I do not hear a purge when I print a nozzle check. After printing the nozzle check the purge pad still has liquid. After performing a print head cleaning the liquid is sucked away.
Thanks

tcsnyc

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
also mikling, I did squeeze the cartridge and ink is flowing to the outlet/port. I also tried a second cartridge to eliminate the ink carts as a possible cause for the problem.