MP730 produces vertical lines on photos + nozzle check pattern

joelprint

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I've spent hours this past weekend reading posts on this site and being amazed at all the incredibly detailed observations about print heads and manual cleaning. I'm pretty impressed and decided if I wanted to get any sleep tonight I'd better post my own question before I become totally obsessed!

I've been really happy with my Canon MP730. I've had it for 4 years and really used all of its functions fairly successfully. I don't print pictures all that often, but have also been satisfied with those even though I likely don't do as much maintenance as I ought to.

Recently though, the printer is producing evenly spaced vertical lines from top to bottom, unacceptable by any standard. I noticed concurrently that when performing a nozzle check the blue pattern had some pretty outstanding 'cavities' in it. After doing a lot of reading I decided that I ought to try carefully cleaning the print head as described in a number of posts--notably by trigger. After doing it once the nozzle check still looked exactly the same, so I attempted the extra special cleaning recommended by trigger in the same post. I just did that today, and unfortunately, I likely messed something up because now I've got some 'cavities' in the black portion of the pattern. I'm not convinced that the black shortcomings are permanent though as they seem to be getting slightly better following each cleaning, but without a doubt, the blue portion is not improving any.
I'm going to see if I can post a picture of a recent nozzle check. I have one ready to attach, but won't know if I can figure it out till I try. The 'B' section on the bottom is the one that seems to be permanently 'broken.' And I'm guessing that the anomaly with the blue section on the top section is related.

Hmmm, ok, it looks like as a new member, I can't post an image yet! Perhaps on a reply?

Feeling discouraged, I just went ahead and purchased a new print head online. Though now, after reading some more, I'm wondering if perhaps the problem with the blue fault is electrical rather than mechanical and that a new print head won't do me any good. So I thought I'd post and see if anyone had any suggestions or thoughts! Thanks! /Joel

raval

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Have you recently refilled or bought remanufactured cartridges for this printer?

joelprint

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
No. I've never refilled the ink cartridges. I just stick brand new ones in when they run out.

joelprint

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ok, I think we might be ready to see the nozzle check pattern that I've been trying to post! I probably ought to do some more cleanings and provide an updated pattern, but for now please ignore the black pattern--as I said before, my last cleaning obviously messed something up with the black printout, but the blue pattern has remained the same all along. I'm really hoping that a new print head might actually take care of whatever ails it.. otherwise, I'll likely need to come up with a new printer. Thanks for any help! /Joel

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Yes, the top blue, or cyan as it should be called, pattern exhibits a regular pattern of missing nozzles which is almost always indicative of an electrical problem inside the print head and almost always can be fixed by getting a new print head.

joelprint

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
That is very reassuring to hear you say it! I can't wait to receive the new print head and I will let you know if it fixed the issue. Thanks!

raval

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hey, just a follow up, did replacing the printhead solve your problem?