MP610 broken scanner glass: how to change it?

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4300 - Epson XP-810
I just bought a second hand MP610 in working condition. It has been shipped to my house but the scanner glass broke during transport.

I am wondering if I can replace the glass with a new one or should I buy the complete scanner part of the printer

Anyone has ever did it?

I have at home a broken MP600: is it the scanner glass the same?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The scanner units from the MP600 and MP610 have different parts numbers and also look to be mechanically different when comparing the parts catalogs. But I think both scanners are made to handle both Letter and A4 paper format, so the glass could very well be the same size in both scanners.

I have an MP610 and it looks like the scanner can be disassembled by removing 6(?) Phillips screws on the underside of the scanner unit. I guess the scanner unit from the MP600 is similar, so I think chances are good that the MP600 glass can be used as a spare part for the MP610.

Last edited:

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
Examine position of positioning strip (white) in MP610 scanner unit, compare it to one from MP600.

Examine ribbon of scanner head in broken MP610, and keep scanner head in dark condition. If ribbon is damaged (ex. by sharp parts of glass), then except errors.

Ł.

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the help guys, I owe you a beer or two ;)

Luckily enough I have found for cheap another second hand MP610 with broken Logic board that I can use as a donor for the scanner.
Please don't tell me that a damaged logic board could have damaged the scanner also... :hide

The number of broken printers in my house as spare parts is going out of control, currently they are 4 broken, 1 working, 1 to fix and another two will arrive in the near future :ep:idunno

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi,
an update on this thread. I didn't buy the broken 610 and bought a new epson perfection photo xp-810.

In the past few days I finally had the time to try fix the Canon, once disassembled the scanner I found that to remove the broken glass is harder than I thought: it seem fixed with a kind of strong glue or bi-adhesive tape.

So I am considering again to buy a second hand MP-610 (broken with a B200 error) for €30 and transplant directly the whole scanner part.

My only doubt is if the b200 error could have damaged the scanner part. Can I buy safely the broken 610 and transplant it on the one working?

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Hi,
an update on this thread. I didn't buy the broken 610 and bought a new epson perfection photo xp-810.

In the past few days I finally had the time to try fix the Canon, once disassembled the scanner I found that to remove the broken glass is harder than I thought: it seem fixed with a kind of strong glue or bi-adhesive tape.

So I am considering again to buy a second hand MP-610 (broken with a B200 error) for €30 and transplant directly the whole scanner part.

My only doubt is if the b200 error could have damaged the scanner part. Can I buy safely the broken 610 and transplant it on the one working?

As the scanning unit has few connections with the printer part, there is a big chance it is an autonomous unit only sharing power supply and communications.

PS: I don't think it is a good idea to PAY someone for a broken printer, it is already very kind YOU dispose it for free (supposing you don't have to pay for it at the recycling park).

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
They are not so kind to give it for free. I found them on sale on internet

The price includes also 15 or 20 € of shipping costs.... so they are giving for 10€.

I would preferto have it for free of course, but it seems to me a reasonable reward for preparing the box and going to the post office to ship.

Most of them still believe that it could be fixed or don't realize that their beloved printer has become just a piece of junk

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
As the scanning unit has few connections with the printer part, there is a big chance it is an autonomous unit only sharing power supply and communications.

I forgot: thank you for the advice :)

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
swapping the scanner unit is pretty easy once you've done it the first time. i've had 2 scanners go on my MP830's. now have 2 fully working MP830's and 2 that still print with non-functioning scanners. i've probably done the swap 5+ times now, gets easier every time.

if you do attempt the swap, take lots of pics and take notes on the ribbon cables top/bottom.

i once installed one of the ribbon cables upside down and took me several iterations to get it right

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Active Printers: MP830, MP980, PRO-100
• Stored Printers: MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870
• Method: German Durchstich Method
• Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
• Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
> I would prefer to have it for free of course, but it seems to me a reasonable reward for preparing the box and going to the post office to ship.

When you really live on the island Sardinia probably you should calculate the shipping costs in.

> Most of them still believe that it could be fixed or don't realize that their beloved printer has become just a piece of junk

To make everyone realize this is one of the tasks of this forum :)