micro banding

Saphire

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9950
I already said I use only oem. I I don't refill . will try to clean a head with Windex and water.

Last edited:

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
OK, if you now can't see good pm and pcy thay are really ok. Only Red is not, when i do regular nozzle check than red is ok. Can you see in last post picture lines on sky? I'm really sorry, i don`t have good scaner. I am wondering should I take of a head and do clenaing? Can I somehow print some test to indicate poor ink flow. Also I have problems with prints when some ink is low(not empty), than pictures usually have magenta hue, they look redish.

I believe I see evidence of misdirected ink in your last images, in the Cyan and Magenta matrixes. Examining the matrix with a loupe on your end, printed on high quality paper (such as matte photo paper) may be more illustrative. You still don't have enough resolution to positively confirm it. I would still recommend you renew the print head.

Saphire

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9950
I print purging test pattern 6 color, which I found in your first post, and i can see lines on cyan. So I'm thinking to renew a head. Should I buy a head which now I have in printer QY6 0055 or newer version QY6 0076?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
As the QY6-0076 is the replacement type for QY6-0055, I think the QY6-0076 is the best. It is available from CRC Tasktron UK, but they don't ship outside the UK, so where are you located?

If you decide to try cleaning the print head, then here is a gentle method I used with success. And here is a not so gentle method that ruined the print head and the logic board as well.

Here is a thread about the same print head, as used in your printer

There is always a risk of ruining not only the print head but also the logic board when cleaning a print head outside the printer. IMO liquid left where it does not belong, behind the ribbon cable or the circuit board, is the greatest risk. This water/cleaning fluid could create a short circuit or leakage current that ruins not only the print head but the logic board as well, making the printer a total loss. A logic board that has been damaged this way can ruin a new print head.

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
I am not using Canon printers myself, but whenever this happens with my Epsons it almost always requires a head alignment to resolve.

Try disabling bi-directional printing and see if that helps. If the situation improves (or goes away completely), then it's simply a head misalignment.
The Epson adjustment programs even offer specific head alignment routines for the type of printing you perform (bi-d, high speed, low res etc)

Saphire

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9950
I'm from Croatia, and I found on e-bay new print head qy6-0076 from Germany for something about 174 $ + 10$ shipping, The qy6-0055 is cheaper but I will listen for your advice and buy 0076, but I m still thinking should I try to clean mine. The nozzle check seems all right but I don't know is problem because of poor ink flow or worn head . . . I have done head alignment. I don't know can i disable bi directional printing for mine canon

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the print heads being new and unused instead of refurbished is more important than the type number. Some refurbished print heads from China have been defective out of the package, so check the description carefully. Do you have some links to the ebay offers?

costadinos

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
7900, 4900, 9890, R2000, P50
I'm from Croatia, and I found on e-bay new print head qy6-0076 from Germany for something about 174 $ + 10$ shipping, The qy6-0055 is cheaper but I will listen for your advice and buy 0076, but I m still thinking should I try to clean mine. The nozzle check seems all right but I don't know is problem because of poor ink flow or worn head . . . I have done head alignment. I don't know can i disable bi directional printing for mine canon

The bi-directional printing will probably be like "bi-d enabled" or "high-speed printing" or something similar.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Typically Canons do not print bi-directionally when used at best quality settings. There are no obvious check boxes in their print drivers either.

Saphire

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9950
Here it is they are going fast, this is the last one and they increase a price. Or this one from same seller. If you now if there is somewere else selling new one please link.