micro banding

Saphire

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9950
In i9950 can be seen lines on areas of plain color, for example blue sky or asphalt everything else is just fine. Is that normal or problem with ink flow. Nozzle check and head alignment is just fine. That lines I can only see when i look close on picture. That irritates me a lot becouse complex details are fine but sky not.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I sometimes get that when I am printing a solid colour on a low print setting so I just switch to the higher quality setting and that always solves the problem for me..

Saphire

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9950
Not for me, I print on highest quality and I use only original canon inks and canon glossy photo paper GP-501. I think I will give up it seems that nobody have this problem, or nobody can't see them, because I'm looking for solutions for long time on net and nothing even close. If somebody have problem like me, than he have a bad nozzle check. But mine nozzle check is perfect.

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
In i9950 can be seen lines on areas of plain color, for example blue sky or asphalt everything else is just fine. Is that normal or problem with ink flow. Nozzle check and head alignment is just fine. That lines I can only see when i look close on picture. That irritates me a lot becouse complex details are fine but sky not.
Can you please post a scan of the defect you speak. And a high quality scan of a nozzle check (preferably a service test print instead of a nozzle test print).

Would you consider it "streaking"? Something like this?

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/2540_dscn8743_1.jpg

You might want to read this entire post. It was my first on this forum. What I beleive I was experiencing was print head nozzle erosion (wear-out).

http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/canon-i960-banding-issue.2093/

Last edited:

Saphire

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9950
I read your first post and I can say that your case is worst. Mine you can see the sky defect only when you look closely. I know when you look first picture that red ink service print nozzle check have problem. So you think that sky on other picture is because of that?I repeat that defect you can see when printing solid color especially when is light color. For example sea on second picture is OK and top of sky is OK.

Attachments

• cvita 002.jpg
    cvita 002.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 460
  • ovo.jpg
    ovo.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 426

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I will need to see an enlarged scan of the sky issue. I does not show well on my screen. The photos on my old post are of an area of about 2cm x 3cm.

Are there any misplaced or mispositioned lines in the matrix prints on the nozzle test? Enlarged scans of those matrixes would help, too.

Red ink typically is used only in highest quality printing modes on highest quality papers. And I doubt any is used in the sky.

You may need to replace the printhead to solve this issue.

Saphire

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9950
  • I think you can see here lines on sky. On real is easier to see. I must tell that I change photo cyan ink now, the old one have aprox. 1/5 ink. And now I get better results on same image. (50% less bending). Could that be ink flow.? I try also print on mode which use 6 color, (high resolution paper and standard quality) and same results even worse.

Attachments

• l.jpg
    l.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 418
  • nozzle.jpg
    nozzle.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 435

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Sorry...matrix images are still to small. JPEG artifacts are overpowering the detail needed to see misdirected ink. Bigger, more resolution, please. Here's what I see when I attempt to enlarge what you post. Pay particular attention to cyan and magenta matrixes (which make blue).
nozzle.jpg

Here's an example of what I need to see.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/2540_black.jpg

Note that the red annotations shows misdirected ink, which causes streaking.

Last edited:

Saphire

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9950
OK, if you now can't see good pm and pcy thay are really ok. Only Red is not, when i do regular nozzle check than red is ok. Can you see in last post picture lines on sky? I'm really sorry, i don`t have good scaner. I am wondering should I take of a head and do clenaing? Can I somehow print some test to indicate poor ink flow. Also I have problems with prints when some ink is low(not empty), than pictures usually have magenta hue, they look redish.

Attachments

• red and gren.jpg
    red and gren.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 385
  • magenta2.jpg
    magenta2.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 361
  • magneta1.jpg
    magneta1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 353
  • black.jpg
    black.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 346
  • cyan2.jpg
    cyan2.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 401
  • cyan1.jpg
    cyan1.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
From my limited experience I incline to agree with Hat that most problems are related with ink flow and that this is the major hurdle for refillers (cartridge and ink issues).
Printing with higher quality masks these problems most of the time.
Think this is the price you pay for refilling.