(according to www.PaulRoark.com)

When using PK, LK, LLK and gloss optimizer the combination would be:

K: 100% K
C: 14,5% K + 85,5% LK
M: 100% LK
LC: 25%LK + 75% LLK
LM: 100% LLK
Y: 33% LLK + 67% gloss optimizer

Can someone tell me if my calculation are right or not?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I experimented on a set of refillable Epson T079x cartridges with the formula I calculated and mixed the inks using:

OCP PK, LK, LLK (all pigments) and Gloss optimizer using the following formula (as aforementioned):

The results are astonishingly good. I didn't use QTR or other fancy programs. I just use the sRGB profile and the prints are spot on, whow :thumbsup. Because of the very pigment used in this refill ink (OCP K3 pigment), the prints are bit warm towards sepia, but the results are really good. There are even more details in the dark shadow area's compared to the ABW-mode on my Epson Pro 3880. The mix is even better compared to the one I made for my Epson WF-7525 using the CMYK printing method.

For 4 color Epson printers the formula would be:

Choose matte paper to force CMYK printing to use all 4 colors.

Using a dye version of this mix should yield in a more neutral ABW printing method.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I hope you get the quality that you’re looking in your B&W prints, because it’s far more difficult to please under B&W than it is in colour.

Trying to capture the subtle shadows and shades that greyscale creates can be a daunting task that can’t then be enhanced correctly even with masterful editing, Paul Roach’s attempts are a prime example, for me I think he has lost the plot.

I love beautiful B&W photos that have been shot, printed, raw and unaltered for the eye to see and the mind to ponder..

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi The Hat,

Yes it certainly does. I presume using QTR will even improve print quality, but even without QTR the results are astonishingly good, especially the tonality of the shadows in faces and skin tones. Even the fine fabric with white stitching on the wedding dress of a picture pop ups as if it was 3D. With normal color printing is hardly distinguish these fine details. I will use this ink set for making timeless portraits, as color doesn't capture the very essence of face expressions.

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
Can you put me trough your workflow? When Printing with the inkset you have created?

I have several images, some are still "colorfull" as RAW from Nikon D90
some images I have scaned from old photoalbums as RGB but they are grey-sepia color in RL

If I would print the scanned images without QTR it would mainly use the "black" ink channel of the printer right?
how do I let it print with all corresponding channels or is this only achiveable with QTR?
I never got it touch with it to create a custom curve for QTR but I guess it is mandatory

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
You will need: black ink (dye or pigment) and gloss optimizer

K: 100% black ink
C: 30% black ink + 70% gloss optimizer
M: 18% black ink + 82% gloss optimizer
LC: 9% black ink + 91% gloss optimizer
LM: 6% black ink + 94% gloss optimizer
Y: 2% black ink + 98% gloss optimizer
LK: 18% black ink + 82% gloss optimizer
LLK: 6% black ink + 94% gloss optimizer

(according to www.PaulRoark.com)

Can someone tell me if my calculation are right or not?

This is a very interesting project, would you please give more details (for a "ninja" like me):
- for which sort of printers is the first set? Epson 3880 / 3000 / ?? So much gloss ooptimizer only for diluting...??

- the second set for 6 channel printers is what concerns me... e.g. for epson p50/R285? 1400?
I have a R285 "in stock" certainly clogged and dried out, would it be the right model for this?
- if I search for K3 ink from OCP, would R2400 be a suitable/compatible model? On the german "octopus office" site they sell OCP pigment ink for the 2400 (K3 ?), not for 2880/3000/3880...as far as I know only the (vivid)magenta has changed, so the PK, LK, LLK should be the same..?
- if I do the same search for GLO, would R800/R1800 a suitablle model?
- You say the second set gives pleasing results so far...with which printer you use it?
I don't want to use QTR rip just try it with the epson driver of my R285...any chance to get it right without profiling?
And is it usable only for glossy paper with the GLO in the yellow cart? What paper you used?

- Could you post some b&w test prints of the 6 channel set: one with original or 3rd party color ink, one with your "home brewed" dilution, both side by side on one photo or scan?

Last edited:

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi Martin,

I would suggest you to unclog your R285 printer (use my solution, but with 1 ml ammonia per 100 ml solution).

You can use the cheap way and buy only a bottle of black pigment ink (you can choose photo or matte black depending on the paper used) and a bottle of gloss optimizer. However: I tested using the mix between PK, LK, LLK and GO, so I can't comment on the cheaper alternative.

As I have said: no profiling is needed: It is almost plug&print. However: for better control I suggest to try QTR (I never managed to get it right, so it is a bit of mystery to me).

I will made a print using the color ink and my "ABW" K6 ink set.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
OK, here some pictures scanned. I will put them together, so you can see the differences in the shadows and contrast.

Picture 1: Dye 6 color InkOwl with profile in color mode

1500w-dye-6-color_1.jpg

same picture with K6 (ABW grey tone set):

1500w-pigment-K6_1.jpg

Second picture (dye color mode):

1500w-dye-6-color_2.jpg

Second image K6 grey tone pigment ink set:

1500w-pigment-K6_2.jpg

Notice the shadows and the texture of the textile. It is actually better than this, as the upload seems to darken the pictures a bit and some contrast lost is eminent.

Last edited:

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
To better understand what is happening the following links are provided.

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints4.html
A lot of info here is old and the key chart to acquire is the following for testing.

http://www.normankoren.com/Stepchart_large_bw2.jpg

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/black_and_white_test.html

if you print some of the above charts and compare the ICC output to the gray ink output, you'll see why you're getting what you're getting. Both in color mode and in the gray inkset. The results of those prints will fully explain what caused the pleasing effect achieved as well as what's going on with the ICC.

Make sure your monitor is capable of properly displaying the stepchart in the first link before even embarking on printing and processing B&W.

Last edited:

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Thank you for posting the samples, pharmacist!

Looks good at first glance..brighter and much more detail in the shadows.
(..assumed that both are the same printersettings no gamma correction etc...or could it be that the dark shadows of the inkowl-print is due to the printer setting or paper profile - if you have used one...?)
The brighter shadows makes me wonder if the mid-tone and bright areas of the photo are not suffering of "clipping" or loss of contrast...anyway your crops don't show such issues...

I wonder if I am able to measure 0,5% of ink, as this would mean 0,5 ml of 100ml...

I did not read all the details on paul roarks site - is your "ABW K6" ink set your own calculation?
Anyway thank you for the receipe!

(edit): mikling was first, more to look and read.
I am still pleased by his B&W dye ink set for canon .. perhaps your mixture of pigment grays for epson could compete with more expensive carbon-inksets..