Low ink message

Dave77

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG4250
My printer is a Canon Pixma MG4250 purchased 2 months ago. It uses 2 ink cartridges ---black and colour. I recently received the message " Low ink" and replaced the black cartridge, which was supplied with the printer, with one supplied by Choice Stationery called Ink Cartridges. A few days later after printing no more than 5 or 6 pages I once again received the message " Low ink" which obviously puzzled me.
Do you think that the latest low ink warning referred to the colour cartridge which was the original one that came with the printer.
I would have thought that the low ink warning should also state whether it applies to black or coloured.
Thanks for any help.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
While printing you normally see a screen with the remaining ink and status of every colour.
The "Low ink" warning (with a yellow exclamation point) warns you only to prepare a new cartridge, but you can print further until the "Empty" message (marked wit a red cross).

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Dave77, it most certainly should, so can you upload the low ink warning notice and the on screen ink status please, most unusual...

Dave77

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG4250
Thank you both for your replies. Have just checked again and on printing a document in Black and Whte only I receive the notice "Low ink warning". This is on a cartridge that I replaced less than a week ago and has printed less than 10 pages so far.
Could this be because I have used a compatible cartridge? It comes from a very reputable company.
This is my first Canon so apologies if I seem a bit green about it
Should I just ignore the low ink warning and press on.
P.S. Hat I am not getting an on screen ink status.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@Dave77, no apology needed, Open Devices and Printers, / then right click on you Printer Icon/ and Open Printer Properties, / then click on the Maintenance Tab, / and near the bottom right you should see View Printer Status, just click on that and that will bring up your ink status monitor...

Dave77

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG4250
Hat, I am using this printer along with an i-pad. Not sure where to find "devices and printers".

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Funny thing neider do I, it was assumed wrongly you were using a PC, and I don’t even know if when using Wi-Fi, that ink monitoring is available to any platform either sorry, but it does explain most of your difficulties.

Dave77

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG4250
Hat-----my apologies I should have made it clear at the start that I was using an I-pad.
However thanks for your help and I am sorry if I have been wasting your time.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
....Could this be because I have used a compatible cartridge? It comes from a very reputable company.....
Yes, as there are no resetters available for the Canon combined sponge/print head cartridges, the low or empty indication cannot be changed. But printing using refilled cartridges is possible by disabling ink monitoring. The "compatible" cartridges are refilled or remanufactured cartridges, so the chips have already registered low or empty. To continue using these cartridges at some time you will have to press the Resume/cancel button to disable ink monitoring. There ought to come an instruction with the refilled cartridges telling about the ink level disabling.

Dave77

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma MG4250
Thank you----problem solved. I was puzzled as I had used compatible cartridges successfully for years on an old Lexmark printer but I suppose technology moves on. I will contact the supplying firm and ask for instructions on their use.

Could you please tell me where to find the Resume/cancel button. I am using an i-pad.

Latest posts