It is time for environmentalists to wake-up............

A

Austin123

Printer manufacturers (Original Equipment Manufacturers) are campaigning against recycled cartridge makers and sellers to secure their business. Is there anything that environmentalists can do against this? I mean, recycling is good; but some greedy souls are just opposing it to make more money.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I don’t know where you got that one from because the printer manufacturers actually want us to recycle (return) their cartridge which then removes these carts from circulation and this prevents us from refilling them which is far better for the environment..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I don’t know where you got that one from..
It is a bit of a puzzler. Canon and we forum members follow the money, not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself. Being good stewards of the planet, at least in our own localities, imbued in us by our families and role models, has been a long time thing for a number of us, with refilling satisfying a part of this sentiment.

Lucas28

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pigment
Of course printer manufacturers take the old cartridges back. They take them out of the circulation to prevent refilling.

What do they do with these cartridges? They don't reuse them, no, they destroy them.

I think refilling is the best for environment.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Of course printer manufacturers take the old cartridges back. They take them out of the circulation to prevent refilling.

What do they do with these cartridges? They don't reuse them, no, they destroy them.
Are you sure of this? I would think recycling of some kind is done with mass numbers of empty cartridges by Canon. It would be the fiscally prudent thing to do. I think it would be the consumer who is more likely to send the empties to a landfill.

Agree we refillers are more ecologically mindful versus those who purchase a new cartridge everytime.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I take the opposite view on that, I reckon Canon have their very own OEM stock pile of dumped cartridges.
They may even take delight in burning them to provide heat for the boardrooms..:old

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I take the opposite view on that
Well, you've always been the "beer glass is empty" kind of guy while mine is half full. As long as you're buying who cares! :lol:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
No one said they didn’t recycle; all the returned cartridges are trashed up and turned into something else, where as we are far better at recycling than they ever could be by refilling these cartridges again and again.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
To be fair to them you can not expect them to flush out millions of carts, refill them and shove a new chip/reset the chip on them. The sheer man power that would be required just to remove and replace the chips and/or reset them i would imagine would make them end up costing more than what a brand new cart on a production line costs to the consumer.

Id rather see the plastic being used to build other things or even as road/playground surfaces than i would paying even more through the roof prices for a refurb cartridge. That may be feasible for us home refillers and even small business selling refurb carts, but to have to deal with millions upon millions of them is another matter.

Latest posts