Is the Canon 9500 Mark II superior to the Epson R2880?

Red John

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello to all. I have been reading enough on the model of printer Canon 9500 Mark II in different websites and I wanted to know if this model of printer is superior to the Epson R2880.

I have read that the spectrum of color of the Canon includes up to 62 % of the AdobeRGB per 60 % that the model of Epson would obtain.

I also want to know if there is some CISS or some method of refill of cartridges with trustworthy inks for the Canon 9500 Mark II, since for this model in concrete I have not seen very much to this respect.

Thanks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Red John
I cant answer your first question on the superior Epson/Canon printer debate, or youre second.
The 9500 mark 2 I reckon would be a disaster running with a CISS, ink everywhere not just on your hands + youd get endless clogging.
This printer also has the small cartridges of a new design and are easy to fill but not all of the chips can be reset yet, + good refill ink is available (precisioncolors.com.)
Most seem to prefer Epson pigment printers as there is more help available with the ink and refilling than with the Canon.. :|

Red John

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you, I suppose that the option would come to be the Epson R2880 with Lyson's good CISS.

I do not understand how a printer that goes enough time on the market they could not have connected a CISS still :rolleyes:

Kind regards.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi John,

The reason is the design of Canon's printhead and the cartridges, which unlike Epson's design does not make a complete airtight seal and there are no auto-reset chips available for the Canon Pro 9500 (not to my knowledge).

Be careful with the Lyson CISS: the ink is a reputed one and very good, but the CISS is a bit flumsy. I would recommend a system where the ink is sucked from the top of the external bottles like you suck lemonade trough a straw. CISS system where the ink is travelling trough the bottom of the CISS bottles will more likely to clog, because the pigment particles will settle down overtime and when the tubing is attached to the bottom, the pigment particles will impart the inkflow.

Red John

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
Hi John,

The reason is the design of Canon's printhead and the cartridges, which unlike Epson's design does not make a complete airtight seal and there are no auto-reset chips available for the Canon Pro 9500 (not to my knowledge).

Be careful with the Lyson CISS: the ink is a reputed one and very good, but the CISS is a bit flumsy. I would recommend a system where the ink is sucked from the top of the external bottles like you suck lemonade trough a straw. CISS system where the ink is travelling trough the bottom of the CISS bottles will more likely to clog, because the pigment particles will settle down overtime and when the tubing is attached to the bottom, the pigment particles will impart the inkflow.
I had read something it brings over of that InkRepublic's CISS and eflillink's CISS were better for the explanation on that you comment. What it did not know is that Lyson's CISS were not completely good. Though for the price that they cost well they it might be, do not you believe?

Has the ink that Lyson sells, very costly certainly, more quality than that of PrecisionColors?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
About the Lyson ink: I cannot compare it to my own IM-K4 ink by precisioncolors.com, which I use in my Epson Pro 3800. I am very happy with this ink (IM-K4). I have heard from others the Lyson pigment ink performs remarkedly well. Actually you can buy refillable cartridges and convert them to a CISS using the kit sold by precisioncolors.com. I believe Mikling sells a conversion system to convert refillable cartridges to a CISS system. The bottles can be obtained elsewhere. This works much better and more reliable and will save you money.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I have not been able to gather the files together but I did install one of my PreCISSion Kits for a customer and ran through a set of profiles with the R2880 for documentation purposes. After looking at the output, I was tempted to go get a R2880 myself. Flawless B&W and the ease with the quality of output was impeccable. The R2880 was an extraordinarily good printer and left a major impression on me with the afternoon I had spent with it. After installing installing the CISS which did not require not even one headcleaning to get perfect output, the rest of the afternoon was spent printing out multiple pages of color patches and test images... again not one wasted print as the output was all perfect.

Unfortunately my current budget does not allow me to have one of these great printers currently so I will make do with the R1800 which is also a very fine printer.

The conversion kits will soon be available and utilize the bottles in which inks are shipped in. The height of the bottles are a good match to maintain a slight negative pressure on the cartridge bodies that Epson printers prefer.

Red John

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
Taking again the matter on the possibility of being able to connect a CISS to the Canon 9500 Mark II printer.., there is a seller in eBay that sells a CISS for it and with inks of pigment, at least it says the advertisement of sale. Possible fraud?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Red John

The eBay seller is having a joke and trying to pull a fast one.
The kit that they have may work on the 9000 but not on the Pro9500 Mark II, 8 cartridges instead of ten.
As I said in an earlier thread ( #2 ) the 9500 will not work with a CISS successfully i.e. a total waste of good money.
My advice is to stick with refilling the OEM cartridges its a much better way to go.
The grey & photo black cartridges are not resettable at this time but there are reset chips for these cartridges available out there.
There isnt a Canon printer I know of that will work using the standard CISS kit with pigment inks.. ;)