ip4500 ubuntu directcd print alignment

MarksReMarks

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma ip4500, Laserjet 1300n
GIMP/Ubuntu prints a CD label on the IP4500 yet it is not aligned. Shifted up by ~.2 inch

Last edited:

crenedecotret

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hi, I dont have my ip4500 anymore, but for a long time I used GLABELS for printing to a disc. When you print a CD, you need to tell the driver you are using A4 paper (not 8.5x11). First, install glabels (sudo apt-get install glabels). Second, create a file called "Canon Direct CD_Hub.template" in ~/.config/libglabels/templates/ and copy the xml contents below. Third, launch Glabels. The template will be in the "custom" section. This is for hub printable discs. If you wanted to have non-hub printable, you would just change the value for "hole=" and save it as a different template or use glabels' template designer. If you still want to use Gimp or something else after trying this, you can adapt the measurements I used for Glabels.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Glabels-templates xmlns="http://glabels.org/xmlns/3.0/">
<Template brand="Canon Direct CD" part="HUB" size="Other" width="131mm" height="239mm" description="Direct Disc Printing (Hub)">
<Label-cd id="0" radius="59mm" hole="11.5mm" waste="0mm">
<Markup-margin size="0mm"/>
<Layout nx="1" ny="1" x0="6.5mm" y0="32.5mm" dx="118mm" dy="118mm"/>
</Label-cd>
</Template>
</Glabels-templates>

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I know this is linux related thread but I wasted enough time myself and would like to say that a program called "discus labeler" is best I've tried ever in simplicity, templates, and ease of use.

Loads instantly and does not modify your system. Very easy to maintain, program needs only two files to run.

MarksReMarks

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma ip4500, Laserjet 1300n
Thank you for your help Crenedecotret and Smile. I discovered that by using Gutenprint, within GIMP I am able to print labels will enough for now.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
With my HP I just have to do the adjustment. I print from LibreOffice, and I have a template with fudged margins built in. I can now rely on alignment within a slop of a millimeter or so. (With LibreOffice you can easily produce text or graphics.) With previous versions of Ubuntu, it was so far off that I never did successfully align it for CDs, and I was dependent on Windows for that one task. Then I got a replacement printer and updated software, and now it's close enough to use. I don't know for sure if hardware or software changed.

So I don't know if the problems are in the HP drivers, the programs, or maybe even the hardware. Your experience seems to implicate the Canon drivers. But you can get it to work, somehow.

crenedecotret

Print Addict
Reaction score
Turboprint is another option.... you basically setup a template as a square page (I think it had to be 14x14cm with 1cm border). The turboprint driver then figures out the true placement. As long as the driver supports your printer you never have to fiddle with your template even if you change printers. Turboprint is a commercial program, not free.