IP4500 Clog What Next

hceuterpe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have an IP4500/MP610 (ok technically I have both, but they have interchangeable printheads and am using the 610).

The magenta has a stubborn clog. It's not horrible throughout, but it has a concentration of blank lines largely going left to right on the nozzle check page. It's enough that there are breaks in say a printed page on plain paper that's relatively CYM heavy. I tried the running under warm tap water to the printhead, no dice. What do you all suggest next?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Could you upload a nozzle check and a plain paper page showing the error?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have an IP4500/MP610 (ok technically I have both, but they have interchangeable printheads and am using the 610).

The magenta has a stubborn clog. It's not horrible throughout, but it has a concentration of blank lines largely going left to right on the nozzle check page. It's enough that there are breaks in say a printed page on plain paper that's relatively CYM heavy. I tried the running under warm tap water to the printhead, no dice. What do you all suggest next?
I would say without even seeing the nozzle check that your print head has burned out, simply because you said you were printing while you had a big problem with part of the Magenta missing.. :hide

hceuterpe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
It was a tiny portion of the magenta, I'm talking single "lines" in the print nozzle check. However after repeated printhead cleanings the cyan seems to be clogged really bad. I'm trying the papertowel soak where you soak a paper towel and place the head on top and then fill the top ink nozzle with water. So far it's just tap water. The cyan still seems to be leeching out 24 hours later more so than any other color, so I'll keep soaking a bit before I put it back to upload a scan of a nozzle check printout.

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Once I soaked a canon printhead not one day - but one week! The clogged PGI-black did not want to stop leeching out, after some days it was coming out also on top through the inlets.
Finally it was clear, but I did not put it in a printer yet, just in stock.
So be patient. You can examine the nozzle rows with a magnifying loupe / macro lens / scanner to search for damages of the nozzles...if these are visible it may not worth the effort.
New print heads for ip4500 are still available

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
To see individual nozzles and recognize damage, you probably need one hell of a good microscope!

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Last edited:

hceuterpe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I soaked the printhead against a dry paper towel and filling the nozzles with distilled water for 4 days on and off, checking the output and swapping with new dry paper towels. The cyan definitely leeched a lot more than any other color.

Yet, even now barely any color with the cyan. So way worse than the magenta. It's so bad, that the nozzle check prints almost nothing in all three cyan bands, and the letters indicating the color actually have an orange tint to it. I'm thinking maybe I burned out the printhead? :(

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Please upload both nozzle checks your first one showing the problems with the Magenta and the latest one with the Cyan problem !

hceuterpe

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I think the printhead might be shot at this point...
I suspect my issue with the magenta clog originally started because I don't print often enough or consistently often enough. I found the post about automating the nozzle check in Windows by capturing the spool file. The subsequent bat file he created is copying the raw spool file over. So I should be able to do this easily in Linux with "lpd -o raw", since my Linux box is on 24/7 and scheduling the command with a cron job every 2-3 days should be trivial.

Latest posts