IP4300 - PGBK not printing: Clogged head or what?

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4300 - Epson XP-810
Cleaning finished. Now the printhead is drying. Time for a swim on the beach and when back I'll install it.

See you later

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I did the following:

#1 Rinsed the head over and over in medium hot water

#2 Soaked all night and until lunch time with W5 (with no ammonia).

#3 Rinsed the head with warm distilled water

#4 soaked in distilled water for more than an hour

#5 put the head on some folded toilet paper and put some drops of distilled water over the PGBK ink "entrance": it drained in about one minute, it seems that there is no obstacle.

But when did the noozle test no PGBK at all :hit

Any suggestion fro next move, apart from cleaning it with pharmacist's solution?

BTW printed a web page with colors and dye black (setting "photographic paper") and it went flawless

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I think it’s time to visit the print head shop because it’s not going to come good after all of that cleaning, sorry.

O’ by the way you shouldn’t be using toilet paper to clean your print head, it’s not a suitable paper for the heads, try using kitchen paper towels they are far better..

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Re-test the PGBK purge System b4 getting a new print head...you did say that you had faint PGBK lines on nozzle tests earlier, no?

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I think it’s time to visit the print head shop because it’s not going to come good after all of that cleaning, sorry.

O’ by the way you shouldn’t be using toilet paper to clean your print head, it’s not a suitable paper for the heads, try using kitchen paper towels they are far better..

I feared that... a second hand printhead is on the way. Buying a new one will cost more than a new (and more up to date) printer. Given that it still prints fine using dye colors one of the options is to keep it to print CD\DVD and pictures or graphics and buy another for text, may be a little laser

Do you think is time for a last attempt opening the printhead ?

Re. the toilet paper, thanks for the advice. As an advice for other forumers, I just put the head over some layer of it (6 folded in two=12), and then fill the base of the carriage with water (in only holds a couple of millimeter) so that the top surface of each nub is covered with water. The water drains and shows if there is still ink inside.

I prefer toilet paper because has no texture and make easier to see from which nozzles\color the water is draining. I don't rub it on the head

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Re-test the PGBK purge System b4 getting a new print head...you did say that you had faint PGBK lines on nozzle tests earlier, no?

Yes, you can see it on the picture attached to post 16 but currently no PGBK at all. I tested it again today while reinserting the cleaned printhead, but it went fine

Sherden

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Something new! Rest the head on tissue, and dribble black dye ink into the pgbk inlet, see if it passes through to the tissue. may take some time and repeated dribbling.

Will try tomorrow morning with ink. I did it today (step #5 in post #32) but with distilled water and it went fine. Water drains in about one minute.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I prefer toilet paper because has no texture and make easier to see from which nozzles\color the water is draining. I don't rub it on the head
Toilet paper easily disintegrates and could cause a print head failure. It is recommended to never use toilet paper with your printer. Use something that does not shred so easily and is lint free. Kitchen paper towels are a good compromise.