I need to get a Canon iP4850 into Service Mode.. ?

Golman82

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma ip4850
Hi guys. So after reading the whole 15 pages of this useful topic, (Canon service tool v2000
I found myself facing a wall.

I own a Pixma ip4850 that first stopped using yellow ink (and the tank was full and nozzle not clogged) and than later on two leds started blinking and I couldnt print anything more. By googleing I found that the problem might be in the waste ink counter and that it should be reset.

I have downloaded the v1.05 and v3.6 resetters and I have tried to set my printer to service mode by following this procedure:

Switch off the printer
Push and hold the "Resume" button
Push and hold the "Power" button
Hold both buttons for about five seconds
Let go of the "Resume" button
Press the "Resume" button twice
Let go of the "Power" button

When I let go of the power button, both leds start to blink wich is said to be ok and that the printer should be in service mode.
After that I activate the resseter, I can press all the buttons and click on everything (nothing is grayed out) but with no effect.

I run Win7 64bit so I tried running both resetters in a compatibility mode - no effect.
The v1.05 even finds the printer in USB001 port, but I still cant use it.

All I get is the error code 006!

By looking up what error code 006 is, I found that it means that my printer is not in service mode, but I follow the procedure for service mode every time, so I dont know if there is any other option for my printer to be set to service mode.
Also, both leds blink as soon as I start the printer (without the service mode procedure) so maybe it set itself to service mode on startup?

Some help would be nice since I dont want to throw the printer away.
Regards,
Tony

EDIT:

I got an error B200 from the printer. Cannon official error site says the lights should blink 10 times each - as they do.
But when I try to set the printer in service mode, after pressing the buttons in correct order - lights do not blink non stop - they blink 10 times each, stop, then again 10 times each, stop, and so on ..

So I guess the printer does not get into Service mode at all.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The proper procedure for entering service mode on the iP4850 involves pressing and releasing the stop/resume five times instead of two times. You find a simplified service manual for the printer here. You can save a copy of the pdf-file when it opens in your browser.

Errors in the printer can prevent entering service mode, and the B200 error is a print head failure. Replacing the print head is risky, as a damaged print head can damage the logic board and a damaged logic board can damage a new print head.

The print head for your printer is QY6-0080 if you want to search the web for one. But remember that replacing a Canon print head, especially one that has failed electrically, is a gamble. You decide if it is worth it.

Golman82

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma ip4850
The proper procedure for entering service mode on the iP4850 involves pressing and releasing the stop/resume five times instead of two times. You find a simplified service manual for the printer here. You can save a copy of the pdf-file when it opens in your browser.

Thank you for this. I have managed to set the printer to service mode, but the only thing I can use from the service tool is to read the EEPROM

iP4800 SN=ACBJ53526 EUR V1.010 ST=2011/02/23-07:43 LPT=2015/03/05-13:35
D=018.2
DF=00004

When I press anything else, I get errors code 002 and 009.

EDIT:

Service tool 1.05 freezes on pressing any button, Service tool 3.6 only gives out error codes 001, 002 and 009 depending on what button is pressed.

Last edited:

Golman82

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma ip4850
Since I did have Error B200 sooner (it went away all by itself), and the printer does not print yellow ink (tried with 2 ink tanks, cleaning deep cleaning, head alignment ... no results) Error code 009 could mean that I have a faulty printer head that needs replacement.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Let’s start with the results of your Service Mode EPROM print out.

Going by that your waste ink is only at 18% so there is no need to change anything in the Service Mode at all.

The B200 error usually means that your print head has overheated and you may need to replace it in most circumstances but not all.

No amount of head cleaning will bring back a print head that has electrical problems (Burned nozzles) and head alignments don't help either.

This is usually caused when you continue to print while you have one or more inks missing in your printouts, the print head needs ink inside it when printing documents or photos so if you notice there is a problem with your output you should stop all printing immediately.

You can print a nozzle check without harming your print head it’s the only printout you can safely do when there is a problem with poor or no ink flow, try printing a nozzle check and see what it looks like and even post it here for us to see your results also please.

You could try soak your print head in 2 cm of washing up liquid and warm water or warm window cleaner with a drop of ammonia in it, leave it to soak overnight and then dry it thoroughly in a warm place and try another normal head clean and a nozzle check.

If the two nozzle prints are the same with no improvement then you at looking at getting a new head because no amount of cleaning is going to work..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The service manual shows a version 1.081 used, so version 1.050 is probably too old and does not support your printer. The newer versions support more printers. Versions 3.200, 3.400 and 3.600 work with both 32 and 64 bit Windows versions from XP and on.

Error codes 001 and 002 from the service tool means that you are trying to execute a function not supported by the printer. See this post. Error code 009 means a function cannot be performed due to a hardware error in the printer. See this post by @Łukasz.

The error B200 can sometimes go away but it will likely reappear soon. The service manual states that in case of this error both the print head and the logic board should be changed.

The D value from the EEPROM info is the percentage of ink absorber usage. D=0 means the absorber is new and contains no ink. D=100 means the absorber is completely filled with ink and should be changed. There is much absorber life left in your printer, more than 80%. The DF value can be ignored. It is an estimated time to absorber change becoming necessary, based on usage pattern. DF=4 means the absorbers should be expected to need change in 4 months. See page 28 and 29 in the service manual.

Golman82

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma ip4850
So I had my printer checked out, and the head blew right next to where the yellow color is. Since it was too expensive to change the print head and the motherboard, I had to replace my iP4850 with the newer model iP7250.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you for the feed-back, even if it was a sad thing the print head burned out.

Latest posts