I bought an iMac 27"...my goodness.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Not because of its specs, but I love the image quality and the design of this all-in-one PC. I had it BTO with a 256 GB SSD instead of the standard 1 TB HDD. Now I have to buy some extra memory to upgrade the standard 8 GB internal RAM, as this wouldn't be enough......to run Windows 7 64-bit in Virtual PC for Mac :lol:. The reason is that printing targets is a disaster under OS X and my favourite printing software Qimage is Windows only.

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
saving for an
LG Electronics 34UM95-P
my wife has an (rather old) Mac Pro with 8-Core (two 4Core 2.26GHz Intel Xeons) equiped with 6x4GB ECC RAM (24GB)
two WD digital 2TB "Black" Series Disks, one for storage and the other dedicated timemachine and the OS is running from a 256GB Samsung SSD
the internal GFX is still stock though GT120 nVidia hocked to an Cinema HD screen 27"

I was thinking on an overall update:
New CPUs 2x 6Core Intel Xeons
More RAM: 6x 8GB RAM (48Gigs Total)
new SSD (at least 512Gb) or even PCIe SSD Card since the internal SATA2 has its Limitations in maximum bandwith
new GFX

We bought this beast back in 2009 q4 and its running like 8 hours straight from mon to friday

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Not because of its specs, but I love the image quality and the design of this all-in-one PC. I had it BTO with a 256 GB SSD instead of the standard 1 TB HDD. Now I have to buy some extra memory to upgrade the standard 8 GB internal RAM, as this wouldn't be enough......to run Windows 7 64-bit in Virtual PC for Mac :lol:. The reason is that printing targets is a disaster under OS X and my favourite printing software Qimage is Windows only.

I guess there is a reason that when you see all the professionals, whose reputation and livelihood depends on colour accuracy and reproduction, and all you see is multiple images of the the big silver apple on their computers.

Sigh...., all a bit rich for my pocket. Will continue to stick with Microsofts interpretation of colour management. At least I can afford it, and it does work. Sometimes!:barnie

Not complaining, just saying.

RS

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Looks good, the SSD really makes all the difference, chalk and cheese.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Despite the extra price, I think it is actually essential to have a SSD in todays PC's. I can't work without it nowadays. I could install the SSD in the Mac myself, but for sake of the warranty, I have it installed by Apple. It was too complicated and dangerous to remove the glass covering the iMac to install the HDD.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Ive considered a Mac for a while in my spare room which has limited desk space, but Apple prices make me laugh, beautiful looking machines but my god for the money they are woeful compared to what you could build.

Id sooner build a Hackintosh rig wih specs which would exceed an imac for a grand and if gorgeous displays are your thing add an Samsung 4K (3840x2160) 29inch monitor for £450, which (having seen both) kills the imacs (2560x1440) 27incher IMO. bringing it in under the £1600 of the base end of the top imac.

Hell if you add all the bolt ons to a top end iMac you are looking at close on £2500 for that money i could build a DDR4 wielding socket 2011 PC with a Intel Core i7-5960X which would crush that imac and probably basically any other system for the next 7(ish) years.

I love the way Apple systems look and i applaud them for being able to charge what they do and people still love them, id really like one but for the money my technical head which always shouts more power for less just would never allow it.

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
Ive considered a Mac for a while in my spare room which has limited desk space, but Apple prices make me laugh, beautiful looking machines but my god for the money they are woeful compared to what you could build.

Id sooner build a Hackintosh rig wih specs which would exceed an imac for a grand and if gorgeous displays are your thing add an Samsung 4K (3840x2160) 29inch monitor for £450, which (having seen both) kills the imacs (2560x1440) 27incher IMO. bringing it in under the £1600 of the base end of the top imac.

Hell if you add all the bolt ons to a top end iMac you are looking at close on £2500 for that money i could build a DDR4 wielding socket 2011 PC with a Intel Core i7-5960X which would crush that imac and probably basically any other system for the next 7(ish) years.

I love the way Apple systems look and i applaud them for being able to charge what they do and people still love them, id really like one but for the money my technical head which always shouts more power for less just would never allow it.

You nailed it! The worst part is coughing up $1,800+ for a decent apple machine that will mostly die in less than 2 years (the infamous video card issue) fortunately I had apple care. I wasn't taking any more chances with apple :fl and gave up the fancy look of their machines and sold both of my MBP and went back to where all started for me. Not fancy but it works for less than $1,000 :caf http://youtu.be/lWymdAe2fCk

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well...I started with Hackintosh on 2 PC's (one shuttle SH67H7 Core i7-2600 + 24 GB RAM and SSD) and one Core i7-3770K + 16 GB RAM + SSD. I already had a Macbook Air 13.3" with 8 GB RAM and now this will be my fourth OS X system, but now a genuine Mac :hide.

cls

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
8560, 8570, 1400, 1500W, P50 e
pharmacists you really do walk me trough this hackintosh, I have only seen a machine once life working at the universit hamburg for video editing

Could I get it to work with "any" hardware?
do you mind posting your specs or if already posted at other forums link these here?