How to print on a 3x5 index card?

citron2k1

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ok so what I'm trying to do is figure out how to get Microsoft Word to print on a 3x5 index card. I tried to make a custom template and set my dimensions to 3" x 5" but when I go to print it out, the wording cuts off. Does anyone have a template pre-made for this? Keep in mind I do not want to print a bunch of 3x5 index cards on a 8.5"x11" sheet of paper. I have the 3x5 index cards fed into my printer. I just can't get MS Word to print on it correctly. I have the margins set to 0, but still does not print correctly.

The reason I need to figure this out is my professor allows us to have a 3x5 note card to use on tests. It would be so much easier to set the font to about 5 and type out all my notes and print.

Please help if anyone has any ideas. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I've used google to search for 3"x5" templates for word to no avail.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
citron2k1, welcome to the forum. It would help if you told us what printer you're using. We can't help you much without that.

While you may have set the margin to 0 in Word, the printer usually has a minimum built in margin. You may be able to go into the printer's custom settings and choose "borderless", like when printing a photo.

Mowerman90

Print Addict
Reaction score
Not knowing what software you have or what printer you use I'll offer a universal solution. First, don't use Word, use any type of photo application (Photoshop, paint, etc.) .
Place your text in the bottom right hand corner of the page and save as a jpg. Assuming that your printer can print borderless 8.5x11 set it for that but instead of using 8.5x11
paper use your index cards. Problem solved.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
citron2k1 said:
Ok so what I'm trying to do is figure out how to get Microsoft Word to print on a 3x5 index card. I tried to make a custom template and set my dimensions to 3" x 5" but when I go to print it out, the wording cuts off. Does anyone have a template pre-made for this? Keep in mind I do not want to print a bunch of 3x5 index cards on a 8.5"x11" sheet of paper. I have the 3x5 index cards fed into my printer. I just can't get MS Word to print on it correctly. I have the margins set to 0, but still does not print correctly.

The reason I need to figure this out is my professor allows us to have a 3x5 note card to use on tests. It would be so much easier to set the font to about 5 and type out all my notes and print.

Please help if anyone has any ideas. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I've used google to search for 3"x5" templates for word to no avail.
There is no problem printing from any size in word once you set your margins correctly.
If you PM me your Email address then I will sent you the template..:)

citron2k1

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the helpful responses and the warm welcome. I didn't expect this much help here. :) I have a Canon MX870 All-in-one printer. On the backside of this printer is where I feed the 3x5 index cards.

Mowerman90
: Thanks for your suggestion, but I'm not sure how to follow your instructions. My brother does have Photoshop however. I'll have to borrow his computer to do this, but I'm a bit confused on how this would work. You say to put my text on the bottom right hand corner and save as .jpg file, but how much text do I need to put at the bottom. I would like to use every bit of space on the 3x5 index card if at all possible.

The Hat: I can't PM until I have at least 5 posts.

Thanks all and have a great day!

Regards

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
citron2k1 said:
Wow, thanks for all the helpful responses and the warm welcome. I didn't expect this much help here. :) I have a Canon MX870 All-in-one printer. On the backside of this printer is where I feed the 3x5 index cards.

Mowerman90
: Thanks for your suggestion, but I'm not sure how to follow your instructions. My brother does have Photoshop however. I'll have to borrow his computer to do this, but I'm a bit confused on how this would work. You say to put my text on the bottom right hand corner and save as .jpg file, but how much text do I need to put at the bottom. I would like to use every bit of space on the 3x5 index card if at all possible.

The Hat: I can't PM until I have at least 5 posts. My email address is xxxxxxxxx

Regards
I will send it off to you right away ok..:thumbsup
P.S please remove your Email address now as it's no longer needed, just click on The word Edit on the bottom right. (Security reason)

citron2k1

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The Hat said:
citron2k1 said:

Mowerman90

The Hat: I can't PM until I have at least 5 posts. My email address is

Regards
I will send it off to you right away ok..:thumbsup
Thanks The Hat, I'll be looking forward to your email. I'll let you know how it works :thumbsup

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
citron2k1
The previous thread crossed with yours about your Email, so now you have two to Edit..:)

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
What about setting the printer to borderless as I suggested?

citron2k1

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The Hat said:
citron2k1
The previous thread crossed with yours about your Email, so now you have two to Edit..:)
FIXED!

Thanks again for the template. I figured it out with a bit of trial n' error. Much appreciated. :)