How to limit fading?

Vorkolor

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250
Hello. I use non-OEM ink in my Pixma MG6650 (CLI-551 cartridges) from a source that's well-regarded here, and I note that photos I print seem to fade quite rapidly in sunlight. The cyan colour seems most affected. Other than minimizing sunlight, what factors influence fading? Is the paper important? Are there fade-resistant papers that aren't too expensive?

(Let's assume I'm sticking photos of the kids on the fridge, and I can't move the fridge or keep the curtains closed all the time.)

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Oh well, we have evaluated here in very much detail the fading of inks for Epson printers, it appears that Canon users are left out from from decent inks in regards to fading. You can use original Canon inks, they are far superior to any 3rd party inks, but that's probably not really what you would like to do. You can protect your prints e.g. with lamination which prolongs the fading, or using a spray, protective coating over the prints which as well prolongs the fading, or you may use a transparent PE sleeve you stick your prints into, and even test it by just placing half of the image into the sleeve, and you'll see the difference after a short while.
Cyan and black fading is most visible, black is turning brown, and cyan is getting lighter which very much shifts the color impression of the image.
Yes, the paper itself has some influence as well, but most of the current photo/glossy type papers are microporous, and that's not protecting against fading but the opposite. There are some expensive niche type photo papers, baryt type , swellable on which inks fade less, but that's not a typical avarage day to day paper at all. I would be glad to have better information for you, pigment inks fade much slower but that's not helping you either.
This is just all about the fading of Epson type inks
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/which-pigment-ink-for-epson-1500w.9323/page-18#post-91961

There is one ink set available as well for Canon printers, Fotonic XG by Marrutt, very pricey, but better than the typical 3rd party inks in regards to fading
http://www.marrutt.co.uk/canon-s9000-other/lyson-fotonic-xg-bulk-inks-for-canon-s9000i9100s900.html
That's the only ink I'm aware of with a better performance, and the only choice for Canon users looking for better fade resistance. This in combination with a spray or a sleeve should give you something more permanent than you get today.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There are some cheap photo papers that work very well with 3rd party inks but in the end when your photos fade, the cheaper option is to just print them again.

OEM paper and inks are very expensive, but they fade too, so it’s not just limited to 3rd party stuff, when it really matters with you’re cherished photos a pigment printer would be the only option...

I had a glass framed Litho print of “Van Gogh's Sunflowers” on my kitchen wall and it faded severely, so UV rays tend to bounce all over the place in any brightly light room.
Sunflowers.PNG click to enlarge..

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
that's fading ? no - that's an artistic improvement to the original.....now all the yellows are even more present

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Hello. I use non-OEM ink in my Pixma MG6650 (CLI-551 cartridges) from a source that's well-regarded here, and I note that photos I print seem to fade quite rapidly in sunlight. The cyan colour seems most affected. Other than minimizing sunlight, what factors influence fading? Is the paper important? Are there fade-resistant papers that aren't too expensive?

(Let's assume I'm sticking photos of the kids on the fridge, and I can't move the fridge or keep the curtains closed all the time.)

It seems there is very little CREDIBLE research on Canon third party inks and fading.

Anecdotal reports are varied and mostly unverifiable.

As mentioned previously in these forums, I have Precision colour CL-42 inks on mostly Red River Papers on the wall in my computer room with bright, not direct sunlight that show no signs of fading after three years. Have other prints on similar papers using Precision Colours CL-8 inks that show no signs of fading after more than five years.

I know others report similar results to mine, whilst others, yourself included, report severe fading in a short period. Not quite sure what your time frame is for *FADE QUITE RAPIDLY*. I am guessing a few weeks.

Regarding the pictures on your fridge. I have read somewhere that the gas emitted from a fridge can contribute to accelerated fading. I think it is FREON gas or something like that. Ideally these emissions should be very small, but under some circumstances can build up, or be emitted in larger quantities. You could try using a cork-board in a convenient location away from the fridge with similar lighting and pin some test images to it and see if they fade as quickly.

On a vaguely related note - I recall Mark McCormac of Aardenberg imaging offering to do light fastness test on third party inks providing somebody would provide him with samples. It was some time ago and appears he had no takers. Not sure if the offer still stands.

http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/

rs

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Aardenburg has several reports with Canon dye Chromalife 100 inks which vary widely with their performance depending on the paper used for the test, I don't know whether the desktop printers use the same type of ink. Aardenburg would test other ink/paper combinations but beyond recommendations and possible samples they are looking as well for funding. I have my doubts that Freon or other coolants actually would do that much, or the cooling system would have leaked empty after a short while if the concentration is that high. Anyway, other locations in the room have most likely another illumination situation, different angle to the lamps, the window etc which all would make a difference. Fluorescent lamps, those small energy saving ones, are detrimental with their pretty high UV contents to prints , as well early halogen bulbs without a UV filter, either in the bulb or the fitting. As I commented above there are not many choices for alternate inks with a good fade performance to my knowledge for Canon users.

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
There are some cheap photo papers that work very well with 3rd party inks but in the end when your photos fade, the cheaper option is to just print them again.

OEM paper and inks are very expensive, but they fade too, so it’s not just limited to 3rd party stuff, when it really matters with you’re cherished photos a pigment printer would be the only option...

I had a glass framed Litho print of “Van Gogh's Sunflowers” on my kitchen wall and it faded severely, so UV rays tend to bounce all over the place in any brightly light room.
View attachment 4404 click to enlarge..

I also observed that some cheapo papers with a not so good gamut resist fading rather well, while better quoted papers turn brown within a few weeks.
I have a magnetic board in the hallway (oriented north, no direct sun) were I hang family snapshots, on average the dye prints hold 1-1,5 years before fading too much.
In the sun it can go much faster.

It happens I print the same photo on the same paper on one of my a Canon consumer dye printers and on the PRO 9500 pigment printer.
On first sight both are the same, the dyes a bit more punchy.
I tell my children, if they want to frame a photo, that they take the ones with a gloss difference, they are printed with pigment ink and do not fade :).
Gloss difference does not harm behind glass.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If someone has a serious problem regarding fading, then switching to pigment inks is the answer, and if you don’t then except the fact that dye ink fades over time just like our memories, sometimes even faster. :hu

But it’s so delightful to reprint a faded photo again, it tends to refresh the auld memory and brings a smile to your face, and for me 3rd party dye inks are worth every penny.. :love

Vorkolor

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250
Thanks for your advice. I bought the printer primarily as a document printer, and figured poor photo printing was part of the tradeoff for using cheap consumables. I don't have shelf space or money to spare for a pigment printer now, so I'll order prints from Fuji when I need something to hand out.