How to install an external waste ink tank on a Canon MP780 (or MP760)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I raised the bowl up on a piece of wood and put water instead of Windex in the bowl. I'll see if this keeps the purge system from clogging after a month. It only took two weeks for it to clog the first time.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
ghwellsjr said:
Websnail has a plastic bag as one of his options for an external waste tank. Now I can see the advantage of using one.
Was going to suggest this as it was one of the benefits of a bag system...

What you found would certainly explain why an iP4000 I attached to a box type tank (not one of my kits now, just a hole in a box) ended up blowing the tube fittings off the waste tubes.. The ambient air was more than able to get in and clog it in the extension tubes...

Thanks for sharing the result though... Costly but worthwhile info...

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
ghwellsjr said:
I raised the bowl up on a piece of wood and put water instead of Windex in the bowl. I'll see if this keeps the purge system from clogging after a month. It only took two weeks for it to clog the first time.
It's been a month now with the ends of the tubes submerged in water and the purge system hasn't clogged so I'm going to conclude that exposing the tubes coming out of the purge pump to air will result in them getting clogged.

Now I'm going to put back the original bottom on this printer and use this bottom with the hole in it to try to unclog a purge pump in another printer.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
It's been a couple more weeks with the tubes submerged in water and no more clogs, reinforcing my conclusion that exposing the purge tubes to ambient air will cause clogging in just a couple weeks.

I have now completed my goal of using the base with the hole in it to unclog the purge unit in another printer. You can read about it here.

ocular

Printer Guru
Reaction score
After having blocked purge units on my CISS IP3000's and MP730's I only use dye inks as the black instead of the pigment and try to flood with windex. This recommendation came via Rihac.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I have never understood why people suffer with CISS and I guess this is just another reason to avoid them. Why would you want to give up the advantage of pigment ink on plain paper, just so that you could supposedly run for a very long time without changing a cartridge?

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Why would you want to give up the advantage of pigment ink on plain paper, just so that you could supposedly run for a very long time without changing a cartridge?
Yeah, why would any same person want that?

It's beginning to look like those who dislike CISS the most are people who make money refilling carts. :)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
johnwarfin said:
ghwellsjr said:
Why would you want to give up the advantage of pigment ink on plain paper, just so that you could supposedly run for a very long time without changing a cartridge?
Well, there are some benefits... It depends on your experience I guess...

It's beginning to look like those who dislike CISS the most are people who make money refilling carts. :)
LOL... believe me I wanted to make a CISS work for me with my Canon printers but whatever it was I was doing, using, etc... just made it a proverbial pain in the patookis... My recommendation is based purely on months of pure pain I'd rather not repeat :)

Feel free to join me in the dungeon though :D

johnwarfin

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
websnail said:
johnwarfin said:
I was being sarcastic (should use proper emoticon :) ). It just strikes me that the less you have to remove and fill cartridges the better.

websnail said:
a proverbial pain in the patookis... My recommendation is based purely on months of pure pain I'd rather not repeat :)

Feel free to join me in the dungeon though
The only Canon using CIS is beginning to act up now. Horizontal pink bands every inch. Sounds like cyan is clogged or a supply problem. Tanks are full. This is really the only trouble I've had with CIS last couple years. Epsons doing fine. Maybe you are right about Canon and CIS.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
johnwarfin said:
websnail said:
johnwarfin said:
I was being sarcastic (should use proper emoticon :) ). It just strikes me that the less you have to remove and fill cartridges the better.
Ah... yes proper emoticon use is required as per forum rules, section 12, sub-section 4, paragraph 32, line 3... :p

... and yes I'm in full agreement... it would be nirvana if the Canon printers had accepted a CIS without pure torturous hellish emotional abandonment by the printer $deity... but sadly that's more or less what happened to me every time...

Refilling is a proverbial b*ll ache but in terms of time wasted on CIS to time required for flushing and refilling... The latter has now converted me...

The only Canon using CIS is beginning to act up now. Horizontal pink bands every inch. Sounds like cyan is clogged or a supply problem. Tanks are full. This is really the only trouble I've had with CIS last couple years. Epsons doing fine. Maybe you are right about Canon and CIS.
I wondered what that reserved spot next to me (here in the pit of doom) was all about... :)