Help with Canon Pixma MG 2420 cartridge refilling

fdm2000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Two questions:

Planning to refill the 245 and 246 cartridges - is there a way to reset the ink level. Most instructions I have found to date mention pressing the Stop/Reset for 5-8 seconds. Not sure exactly what this really accomplishes but it appears from the information I have found that this will allow the printer to resume printing but will not show the correct ink level.

Any suggestions and recommendations regarding filling these cartridges would be appreciated. I purchased a refill kit from ink products.com, but the ink level reset instructions are far from detailed.

On my older printers I used a resetter successfully to restore the correct ink level - has anyone created a resetter for the 245 and 246 cartridges?

TIA,

Frank

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
...On my older printers I used a resetter successfully to restore the correct ink level - has anyone created a resetter for the 245 and 246 cartridges?...

Sadly no resetters exist for these cartridges, but you can disable ink level monitoring to allow printing with refilled cartridges. This disabling is wrongly called resetting by some sellers.

The method in video #2 in the post by The Hat works with some HP printers, and the printer in the video is an HP, not a Canon. The HP printer starts showing from 1:05. The Canon combined sponge/print head cartridges have chips that store info about the ink level, not just a serial number.

Last edited:

fdm2000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Just got back to the forum after a delay. Thanks for the response and input The Hat and PeterBJ; kind of you to assist.

Frank.