help needed re canon inktanks display

wobbles

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a canon pixma ip4200 and recently it has reported double inktanks insralled. cant work out how!
However my main problem is that it no longer reports the state of all my tanks. I get the message "The function for detecting the remaining levels of the following ink has been released."
Can someone please tell me how to reverse this so that all the tanks are shown?
Thank you for reading

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
You get that if you've been refilling or using a CIS system and accepted the 3 time warning that the system can no longer accurately detect the ink level in the cartridges.

The only way to return the printer to normal function (ie: get all ink levels back) is to replace the cartridges that no longer have any ink monitoring.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Just did a Google search on the error message you quoted. Apparently this message pops up when you need to do a "waste tank almost full" reset.

Here is Neil's section on how to reset the ip4200...look about 3/4 down the page, and good luck!
Don't forget to post your results here.

http://www.inkjethelper.com/inkjetstuff11.html

wobbles

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanx for the replies guys.
I only use the canon inktanks, no subs at all. I will try the reset as suggested & I will post the results! I promise! :)
cheers

wobbles

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
ok....... I did the reset but the printer status still shows the yellow as empty and says "The function for detecting the remaining levels of the following ink has been released.
Yellow [8]"
Is their some way to set just this particular function to work again?
would be so happy if there was!
Do you think it would it help if I uninstall the printer & reinstall it? (hopefully......sigh)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Manuchau said:
Just did a Google search on the error message you quoted. Apparently this message pops up when you need to do a "waste tank almost full" reset.

Here is Neil's section on how to reset the ip4200...look about 3/4 down the page, and good luck!
Don't forget to post your results here.

http://www.inkjethelper.com/inkjetstuff11.html
I don't see the connection between the message "The function for detecting the remaining levels of the following ink has been released" and the need to do a waste tank reset.

Please link the information.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
wobbles said:
Hi all, I have a canon pixma ip4200 and recently it has reported double inktanks insralled. cant work out how!
However my main problem is that it no longer reports the state of all my tanks. I get the message "The function for detecting the remaining levels of the following ink has been released."
Can someone please tell me how to reverse this so that all the tanks are shown?
Thank you for reading
Sounds to me like you have two different issues.

The first issue of "double inktanks installed" is a not altogether uncommon occurence when Canon accidentally puts the wrong chip in a cartridge during the manufacturing process, or possibly the chip is faulty, or the customer mistakenly puts the wrong chip onto an aftermarket cartridge. The error message may not occur immediately - you might be able to print for a while before the message appears, and, sometimes you can force further printing by either taking out and then putting back in the cartridge or by turning off and then back on the printer. If the cartridge is OEM and you have not altered it in any way, Canon should replace it. If the problem is because you put the wrong chip on the wrong cartridge yourself, then you'll have to figure out where that chip goes through simple trial and error.

Your second issue of the ink level no longer being monitored is exactly as Websnail stated. Reinstalling the printer will not help unless you have other undisclosed issues. You or someone with access to your printer had to manually override the printer functions, and this process required repeated warnings before finished. As Websnail stated, the way to return the ink level monitoring is to replace that unmonitored cartridge with a new cartridge that has not had it's ink used up - pop in a new OEM or chip-reset remanufactured cartridge and your ink level monitoring will return for that cartridge.

If you are refilling your ink cartridges, you will need to eventually go through the process of turning off ink level monitoring in order for the printer to keep printing since you can't reset the chip without an expensive machine. Most people either visually inspect their ink levels regularly to prevent printhead destruction from printing without ink OR they can use a ink level monitoring program like InkMon (http://inkmon.org/).

wobbles

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
hi stratman
Thank you for all that information. I have always used the correct canon ink tanks & no other types at all. (too nervous to risk it! lol)
The ink cartridge is almost full, fairly new so not at the dangerous low level!
Am I correct in thinking, from your information, that the warning message is only fixed to this particular cartridge (not in the printer memory......if it has one) & that a new replacement yellow cartridge will be recognised? Sorry if I appear dense, I just need the clarification.
To add to my misery now my paper wont feed through, wont change from cassette to sheet feed! lol............ maybe I'm not giving my printer the attention it needs and its sulking? (yes I believe machines live & they all hate me! :))
thanks so much for your patience

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The message is given for each cartridge if and when you bypass this chip/firmware functioning. The printer's firmware records events but will reset the ink monitoring function when you insert a new properly color-matched ink cartridge.

Canon Technical Support may very well see that you overrode the ink monitoring function by dumping (printing out) your EEPROM (the memory of the printer which contains the firmware and keeps a record of print jobs and events like disabling ink monitoring), but since your reason was a bad chip and not due to (frowned upon) refilling, there should be no problems with waranty support.

Someone else will have to help you with you paper feed issues. I hope your printer is not experiencing a major melt down!

wobbles

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thank you stratman. I really appreciate the assistance and I will be patient until my cartridge is due for replacement before I panic again! (cant afford to discard it! :( ) I am so pleased to have found this site, I suppose I should thank google too! lol
My paper feed prob is over :) so the machine seems to have forgiven me (for the moment at least).
Thanx again to all who read this.

Latest posts