HELP ! MP600 has powered down- will not start !!!

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
My mp600 powered down today by itself.......I had been printing ok previously, ( I was making a Powerpoint custom daily print test sheet incorporating colored blocks to purge and a space for the nozzle check on the same sheet)..

When I went to print , it said unable- "printer offline "..indeed it was ..........the green power light was absent and on checking the LCD display that was also dead.

I pressed the "on" button no joy .......nothing lit up.
I disconnected the USB and the Power lead and reconnected.....tried again no joy.
I found another power lead and tried again ...no success.

I disconnected and took to another room and power point....still nothing.
It has failed with the carts and head in the parked position...these are not accessable to me to retrieve...will not pull away to middle.......and i want them for the 5200 which has had to take its place.

I want to initially rescue the head and carts which i know are good.

I want to know how I can dismantle the printer to retrieve the heads and cart
I want to know if there is any simple check/repair i can carry out after the dismantle ......on any electronic parts/fuses ?
Has anyone knowledge of this being a known fault with this series ?

I was considering buying a MP610 as a second machine but now I amm not so sure, I really liked the mp600.
Warranty is not an option but it is less than a year old.

Please can anyone help me with these problems?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Ok... you might want to try the trick I found worked on a few of my Pixma's...

Opening up the case so you can get to the side where the power pack is located and then disconnecting the small plug connecting it to the printer circuit boards, wait 10 seconds, reconnect the plugs again the printer and then re-connect the external power lead. In three of my printers this has somehow reset things enough to get it to power up again.

No idea why...

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
websnail said:
Opening up the case so you can get to the side where the power pack is located and then disconnecting the small plug connecting it to the printer circuit boards, wait 10 seconds, reconnect the plugs again the printer and then re-connect the external power lead.
No idea why...
Thanks Websnail, I tried this earlier in the day, with no success........but after you suggesting it I just tried it again...........not a glimmer.

Earlier in the day I opened up the power pack box (after disconnecting) ,to see if there was any obvious dodgy looking component but all looks ok..no blown capacitors etc.

I hope someone can tell me how to get at the head and carts..(with no power available)..or i will end up ripping the sides off to get at them....I am very annoyed. This had been one of my best printers, just calibrated it to work with a dozen sorts of paper.

Part of me suspects it may be a closedown by Canon because I have been running for some time with all tanks overridden.........but perhaps I am just being paranoid.????

Again if anyone can help with either the Power or the Head/Carts problem I would be grateful !!!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
b*gger!

OK... whatever it is you're probably going to need to take the printer case off... I'd imagine there's some kind of post, clip or something that is holding it in place. So yeah I guess side ripping is probably going to be necessary...

As to paranoia... I had the same thing happen with my first ever Canon, the MP750.. It seemed to have something to do with the printhead frying out so you could have hit something similar.. My best suggestion is eat the loss, and keep it for parts if you can.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
websnail said:
b*gger!
As to paranoia... I had the same thing happen with my first ever Canon, the MP750.. It seemed to have something to do with the printhead frying out so you could have hit something similar.. My best suggestion is eat the loss, and keep it for parts if you can.
Thanks Websnail,
I second your first remark..............I am going to hold back off of drastic dismantling action for a few days in the hope that perhaps someone else will have some clever/gentle solutions, that avoid damage to any of the parts.

I have decided that because it was such a terrific machine I will probably get a mp 610 ( if the price is right.). The parts should be interchangeable , (I think the scanner resolution is slightly better on the 610).
I will take a positive view on the enforced disassembly of the 600 as a useful exercise in seeing how the 600`s are put together. I will report to the forum if I find any useful non-violent methods of disassembly.

Meanwhile I will wait patiently for a few more days to see if anyone else has had a similar problem and what they did to resolve it.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Did you check to see if the power supply had any voltage output?

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Ron350 said:
Thanks Ron,

Thats a bit beyond me.....I am awaiting my sons`s return from his foreign holiday...on this wee4kend.....he`s the one who understands how to use the the meter......and electrical items.

I will post further on the result...

CartersPoppie

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Sometime when the print head shorts out it cooks the main board with the printer. This might be the reason for the loss of power, unfortunately this results in a double whammy as both printer and head are pooched.

headphonesman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
headphonesman said:
Ron350 said:
Thanks Ron,
I will post further on the result...
The power box was tested for out put and was putting out voltages.......the box was re-connected and re-tried ,No joy. (print head and inks still in there)

Dismantling then took place :-

Back end Left and Right screws of side casings removed.
These sides were spread and the 3or 4 wire looms on the right were removed also an earth wire onthe left.
The sides were then spread again to allow the scanner top and the top under it lugs to be freed. The teloscopic arm was also detached. Whole assembly put to one side.
Small covers on left front and right front were then removed this allowed access to a screw at either side which then allowed both side covers to be removed.
The remaining top cover which was screwed down by 3 0r 4 screws was then removed. This exposed the print head and inks which were removed.

Reassembly was then carried out . Machine was powered up. LCD lit up but with error codes, B200 which was then overwritten by error code 5010.
Print head carriage did not move to center so was unable to install printhead or inks.again
We suspect the scanner loom may have become damaged in the reassembly.and /or the printhead (if fried) was preventing power up.

Scanner wiring is going to be re-examined . Print head will not be tested in a good machine.
Will advise further

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Just read this on another printer site...can't vouch for it, but maybe it can help you...

Canon Pixma MP150 Error Code 5100 by lischynski (5/15/07 11:19 AM) reply + / -
As a technician, I have worked on tons of printers. This particular error had stumped me for a while, but I finally found the cause. As others had pointed out before, it can have alot to do with some obstruction in the print path, the gears, or ink on the clear plastic encoder strip. You're on the right track - I found the the purge cap (the white sliding mechanism that the print head parks to when it's not in use) was not lubricated well enough from factory. If you lubricate the sliders with some white grease (don't get it on the small wipers or the black caps) the mechanism can now slide more freely, and the unit can park the head properly without giving you the dreaded head homing error 5100 (or E-2-2 on the LCD display) Keep in mind that this repair will probably require you to remove the right panel off of the printer to gain access to the purge mechanism. There are two screws behind the printer, and two in front for each corrosponding side panel (the front screws are behind the grey front panel of the printer - open the top cover to see the clips which hold the front cover on) Hope this helps some of you out.
Wayne Lischynski - Ebytes Computers
wayne@ebytesonline.com