Have You Bought The Epson P800

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
Has anyone purchased the P800 yet and if so what are your thoughts in both output quality and overall build quality of the printer

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
We are mainly interested in printers that have carts that can be refilled.......I cant see too many of our regular posters having a go at this printer...why do you ask?

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
We are mainly interested in printers that have carts that can be refilled.......I cant see too many of our regular posters having a go at this printer...why do you ask?

The reason for the question was to see if anyone had actually purchased this printer and what:
  1. They thought about the HD inks
  2. What they thought about the build quality of the printer
My current 3880 I feel is on borrowed time, I still haven't fixed the PK status issue and do occasionally get over inking issues. In the back of my mind, I know a new printer is looming and it's a toss up between the P800 and the 3880 albeit the P800 is cheaper to buy.

The 3880 in my opinion is well built apart from the front opening door which feels a little flimsy and I was curious as to whether the P800 felt as roust.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I think you will find that the 3880 users here will like me, purchase another 3880 while they are still available....that way we will have a known quality printer while the new offering proves itself a to be a 'dog' or a keeper. My guess is its a dog as none of the things that would have made the 3880 better got done and the P800 is just a rebadged 3880 crappy build and a new ink set to try to beat the 3rd party ink manufacturers.....pretty dumb really.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
no, and I would only buy that model some time later, once refill options are available - cartridges, chips , resetters whatever would be necessary, and a P1000 (?) 24" model becomes available, my 7600 is still running fine

The photoblack nevertheless makes a significant difference to lots of other blacks I have used - it is much darker - visibly, and this as well on matte papers. I have tested it, and see similar improvement as Aardenburg
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/news.html
With that ink I would drop the use of a matte black altogether once a compatible ink becomes available - Lyson etc..

W. Fisher

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epsons, Canons, Brother.
I'm curious if things like the infamous "pizza wheel marks" off the 3880 on some papers during transport has been solved with the new feed system of the 800?

That and if they remedied the feed for canvas which is stubborn to say the least. I tried one of those taped leaders "once" and the tape came loose and wrapped itself inside the thing which required a lot of disassembly to get it out of there. I suspect there is some still in it too.

No doubt the refillers are working on a way to re-cart it for new inks. Haven't heard much on that front yet. In the meantime, I think I will wait and see if they make the new HD ink for a larger printer (which should be cheaper per ml..maybe) and suck it out and refill it in the 3880 tanks and see what happens with the blacks.

Will.

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
Interesting comments been posted. I think I must have been unlucky with my 3880 as most people I have spoke with say how robust and reliable it is even after years and years of hard use.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Interesting comments been posted. I think I must have been unlucky with my 3880 as most people I have spoke with say how robust and reliable it is even after years and years of hard use.

Hi Ian,

Keith Cooper at Northlight Images, a UK site, has produced a prerelease review. See it at:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/printer/epson-sc_p800_review.html

In my not so humble opinion he is one of the more credible poster's on the internet forums. He also indicates a willingness to answer questions about the printer, so he may be worth contacting if you have specific questions.

Hope this helps.

rs
PS: Love your black and white images.

Ian Barber

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson R3880
Keith Cooper at Northlight Images, a UK site, has produced a prerelease review

Thanks for the link Roy, appreciate that, I will go and have a read now. Thanks for the comments on my black and white images

Ian

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm curious if things like the infamous "pizza wheel marks" off the 3880 on some papers during transport has been solved with the new feed system of the 800?

That and if they remedied the feed for canvas which is stubborn to say the least. I tried one of those taped leaders "once" and the tape came loose and wrapped itself inside the thing which required a lot of disassembly to get it out of there. I suspect there is some still in it too.

No doubt the refillers are working on a way to re-cart it for new inks. Haven't heard much on that front yet. In the meantime, I think I will wait and see if they make the new HD ink for a larger printer (which should be cheaper per ml..maybe) and suck it out and refill it in the 3880 tanks and see what happens with the blacks.

Will.

Heard comment on pizza wheel on the 3800 but nothing on the 3880. Few years ago some dill got on DPR raving about how crappy the 3880 was for that reason.....turned out the clown was printing on very light copy paper, set a full wide platern gap and was over inking.

The 3880 has a number of print head options used intelligently ........

But then that excludes a lot of users hey!