Greetings !!!!! New purchase of Canon MX882

FRUSTRATED PRINTER GUY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hello all. I haven't posted in a VERY long time and my thoughts are that's not a bad thing as all of the tutelage that I have gotten was right on point and I haven't had any major issues with my previous Canon printer.

I have purchased a brand new MX882. I have scoured this forum and I have come up with a few major points in regards to refilling the 225 and 226 tanks but I would LOVE LOVE some confirmation from the experienced Jedis on the forum.

Here is what I have read.

-- Needless to say the OEM's are dark and it would be best for me to get a translucent cartridge like the ones here. http://www.meritline.com/canon-pgi-...ble-with-new-chip-combo-5-pack---p-66377.aspx

-- There is a The German Durchstich Refill Method to refill. WHOA !!!!! I never knew about this until 2 days ago. I LOVE IT !!!!

-- 226's can be substituted with a 221 but make sure to swap out the chip. (Awesome information).

-- There is supposed to be a resetter out but its not out as of yet.

So with all the above I have a few questions.

1) Could someone please confirm the above information as I believe I have researched well. (ALWAYS best to confirm with the older Jedi Knights).
2) Can anyone chime in on using the cartridges from the above merchant and the success or lack there of, by refilling them with the German Durchstich method.
3) If not able to reset with resetter, the standard Canon override, (ink levels not being able to be read), of which I am very ok with, is to be used ? Not sure if this can be done with this model.

If anyone would like to comment on any other tips, please please feel free to do so.

As always, thank all of you in advance for your help and tutelage.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
FRUSTRATED PRINTER GUY There is a The German Durchstich Refill Method to refill. WHOA !!!!! I never knew about this until 2 days ago. I LOVE IT !!!!

-- 226's can be substituted with a 221 but make sure to swap out the chip. (Awesome information).

Youre correct on all three, good on you for doing your homework.
Now get refilling and enjoy..

FRUSTRATED PRINTER GUY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
FRUSTRATED PRINTER GUY There is a The German Durchstich Refill Method to refill. WHOA !!!!! I never knew about this until 2 days ago. I LOVE IT !!!!

Youre correct on all three, good on you for doing your homework.
Now get refilling and enjoy..
Ahhhhh, and I get a reply from the great The Hat. Fantastic indeed. Thank you on your comment on me doing my homework. I do pride myself in doing some researching before posting. I am not one of those that are going to ask.........." anyone know where to get cheap cartridges" ? LOL.

I know there are some other Jedis out there. Com on, help a young Padawan out with his new light saber.

Thank you again The Hat

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
FRUSTRATED PRINTER GUY said:
I know there are some other Jedis out there. Come on, help a young Padawan out with his new light saber.
Not a Jedi, but here is my 2 since you ask ...

* Given that you've got the 226-based 882, the chip swapping is a work-around and I don't disagree with TH's advice. To me, chip swapping is something of a "necessary evil" to the alternative of compatibles with unknown ink, and especially spending exorbinant $$$ on oem carts with oem ink.

* Moot point for you, but I think it is premature to get a 226-based printer. If my only option was a 226-based printer and "time wasn't of the essence", my inclination would be to wait until resetters are available, reliable, and reasonably priced from multiple sources.

* Also moot, but there are still 221-based printers available that are roughly equivalent, and that seem to be better candidates for refilling because of the clear reservoir-side window and available resetters. (Note that I'm not advocating CLI-221 based printers, due to their small ink capacity, high cost of ink per oem milliliter, more costly virgin empties. and posts on this forum mentioning that build quality may be lower than earlier generations of Canon inkjets.)

* If you bought the 882 locally and there is a good return policy without an excessive restocking fee, I'd consider returning the 882, frankly. Sorry to be a "wet blanket". Let your conscience be your guide. My (admittedly uninformed) impression is that from a refilling perspective, the CLI-226 based printers are the worst one-color-per-cart inkjets Canon has ever made (the multi-color based printers like the CL41 are of course even worse). But if you do very little printing, perhaps doesn't matter?

* As an exercise, perhaps look at the signatures of the more experienced forum members and see how many (few?) have CLI-226 based printers like the MX882.

FRUSTRATED PRINTER GUY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
l_d_allan said:
I know there are some other Jedis out there. Come on, help a young Padawan out with his new light saber.
Not a Jedi, but here is my 2 since you ask ...

* Given that you've got the 226-based 882, the chip swapping is a work-around and I don't disagree with TH's advice. To me, chip swapping is something of a "necessary evil" to the alternative of compatibles with unknown ink, and especially spending exorbinant $$$ on oem carts with oem ink.

* Moot point for you, but I think it is premature to get a 226-based printer. If my only option was a 226-based printer and "time wasn't of the essence", my inclination would be to wait until resetters are available, reliable, and reasonably priced from multiple sources.

* Also moot, but there are still 221-based printers available that are roughly equivalent, and that seem to be better candidates for refilling because of the clear reservoir-side window and available resetters. (Note that I'm not advocating CLI-221 based printers, due to their small ink capacity, high cost of ink per oem milliliter, more costly virgin empties. and posts on this forum mentioning that build quality may be lower than earlier generations of Canon inkjets.)

* If you bought the 882 locally and there is a good return policy without an excessive restocking fee, I'd consider returning the 882, frankly. Sorry to be a "wet blanket". Let your conscience be your guide. My (admittedly uninformed) impression is that from a refilling perspective, the CLI-226 based printers are the worst one-color-per-cart inkjets Canon has ever made (the multi-color based printers like the CL41 are of course even worse). But if you do very little printing, perhaps doesn't matter?

* As an exercise, perhaps look at the signatures of the more experienced forum members and see how many (few?) have CLI-226 based printers like the MX882.
I beg to differ on your Jedi-ness. :) Here is what I get from your post.....Exactly what I wanted. There is ALWAYS room for more information and growth and your objectivity not only gives more information but ALSO allows me to see the whole spectrum. You are not a wet blanket at all. LOL. You coming from a fantastic perspective and very data oriented on the "cost per ML" information.

For me, no need to return the 882. I really dont print that much BUT, I know that I am ALL ABOUT beating down "the man", and NOT paying the retail cost for an OEM cartridge. Shame on them trying to jack us !!!!!!

In summary......Thank you, thank you, thank you !!!!!!

Rage Against The Machine :cool:

FRUSTRATED PRINTER GUY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
l_d_allan said:
* Also moot, but there are still 221-based printers available that are roughly equivalent, and that seem to be better candidates for refilling because of the clear reservoir-side window and available resetters. (Note that I'm not advocating CLI-221 based printers, due to their small ink capacity, high cost of ink per oem milliliter, more costly virgin empties.
l_d_allan, question for you or anyone else, In regards to the above.

I was wondering why it is that the virgin empties are SO EXPENSIVE. I have done some searching, not a lot, and I have seen rediculous prices on them. I recall getting some virgin carts for my 1st Canon, (cant remember the model) and it was DIRT CHEAP.

Can anyone help out on the above question ?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
I was wondering why it is that the virgin empties are SO EXPENSIVE.
Seems to be pure supply and demand. When I was pondering the refurb'ed MP990, I decided to check about CLI-221/PGI-220 virgin empty carts with the vendor from which I'd bought two batches of assorted-to-my-spec CLI-8 virgin empty carts.

To my surprise, the cost per cart increased from $0.80 USD (CLI-8) to $1.25 (including shipping). As I expressed to him, "seems like they'd be less since they are smaller" ...

His response:
The empties market is mostly predicated on supply and demand. These newer canons are new on the market (vs the CLI-8s) and thats what makes these empties hold more of a value than the CLI-8s.
I have no reason to believe otherwise ... although I think I saw a price for 1700 carts that was less than $1.25/cart <g>

I'm mostly ignorant acout 220/221 carts, but another factor might be that reliable, affordable resetters for 221/220's haven't been around all that long. There may have been "pent up demand" for them once resetters became available from multiple sources.

It also could be a factor that a "hold your nose work-around" for lack of 225/226 resetters has been swapping chips and carts. That might have the temporary effect of "artificially goosing" demand for 220/221 carts ... although I admit to being fuzzy on just how the work-around swap is done.

What prices have you come across?

guyg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
l_d_allan said:
Seems to be pure supply and demand. When I was pondering the refurb'ed MP990, I decided to check about CLI-221/PGI-220 virgin empty carts with the vendor from which I'd bought two batches of assorted-to-my-spec CLI-8 virgin empty carts.

To my surprise, the cost per cart increased from $0.80 USD (CLI-8) to $1.25 (including shipping). As I expressed to him, "seems like they'd be less since they are smaller" ...

His response:
The empties market is mostly predicated on supply and demand. These newer canons are new on the market (vs the CLI-8s) and thats what makes these empties hold more of a value than the CLI-8s.
I have no reason to believe otherwise ... although I think I saw a price for 1700 carts that was less than $1.25/cart <g>

I'm mostly ignorant acout 220/221 carts, but another factor might be that reliable, affordable resetters for 221/220's haven't been around all that long. There may have been "pent up demand" for them once resetters became available from multiple sources.

It also could be a factor that a "hold your nose work-around" for lack of 225/226 resetters has been swapping chips and carts. That might have the temporary effect of "artificially goosing" demand for 220/221 carts ... although I admit to being fuzzy on just how the work-around swap is done.

Was just wondering where you get your empties? I'm thinking about getting a Pro 9000-2 and would need a couple of sets. I assume that "per your spec" you were able to get the carts needed for your pro 9000-2?

I am using cli-221 based printers and the empties are harder to find and can be more expensive, but I was able to pick up a lot of 50 on ebay for $35.00 shipped :) I picked up a resetter on amazon for under $10.00, inks from IS , and I am happily printing away. The carts are a little smaller but last awhile for home use and the pigment cart is larger so you get several hundred prints before refilling with excellent results.

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
guyg said:
Was just wondering where you get your empties?
Source for CLI-8 "virgin empties" for printers with 8 die cartridges?

I'm thinking about getting a Pro 9000-2 and would need a couple of sets. I assume that "per your spec" you were able to get the carts needed for your pro 9000-2?
Exactly ... it a relatively expensive and less common printer so the "bundle" isn't standard. A good vendor may be willing to work with you for the specific carts you need ... no PGI-5Bk for example.

I am using cli-221 based printers and the empties are harder to find and can be more expensive, but I was able to pick up a lot of 50 on ebay for $35.00 shipped :) I picked up a resetter on amazon for under $10.00, inks from IS , and I am happily printing away. The carts are a little smaller but last awhile for home use and the pigment cart is larger so you get several hundred prints before refilling with excellent results.
Sounds like a good price. I'd consider checking with that vendor for a bundle with proportions something like:
* 3 ea of PM and PC (used up faster than others)
* 2 ea of CYMK
* 1 ea of RG
____

Something to consider ... ask the vendor to pitch in a number of orange outlet caps. Newbies tend to throw those away when setting up their printer for the first time (I did ... red face). There are better outlet port caps available elsewhere, however.

FRUSTRATED PRINTER GUY

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
l_d_allan said:

His response:

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay. Interesting on the supply and demand of it all. I actually think that there are less and less vendors that are selling the virgin tanks as well. I saw them for $30-$50 bucks for 5 or 6. I know, NUTTY price but I really didnt do much searching as I wasnt successful on finding that much. I figured I might as well get them filled and just use them to refill.