German "Durchstich" refill method for the PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges

siskiou

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Has anyone tried this method with the PG-210/510 and CL-211/511 cartridges?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
equity44 said:
I remember somewhere in this forum there was a discussion about where to obtain sharps that are 2 inches or more. It's not that easy in the U.S. where blunts are the norm for non-medical purposes. I have my ink already but cannot start a Durchstich without proper needles, IMO. Do you or other posters have suggested sources? I've been without my printer for about a month now waiting to get this started right. :(
I recently for the first time tried the German method with the 2" blunt needles that I got years ago from Computer Friends for refilling from the top. I made the hole with an awl as close to the bottom as possible. The needle slides easily right between the sponge and the bottom of the cartridge. Sometimes it does take a little effort rotating the needle to get it into the reservoir. So don't worry about getting sharp needles if you can get blunt ones, either will work just fine.

fortisi876

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why this is the preferred method?

Is it to lower the risk of air leaks when the top is drilled out instead?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Yes, that is the reason.

But it is also so much easier and cleaner because you don't have the problem of ink draining out of the cartridge before you have a chance to seal up the refill hole. If you refill from the top, you MUST seal the outlet hole while doing the refilling or all of the ink will immediately drain out. You don't have to do this with the German method. Many people don't bother to seal the refill hole either, but I highly recommend it because it prevents the possibility of providing a path for air to find its way down to the outlet port and causing ink flow problems. Also this seal is not like the seal that is required when refilling from the top of the cartridge because that one has to be absolutely air tight (as you pointed out) whereas this one will work even if it has a small leak in it.

equity44

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm sorry I was slow to respond to this thread after the help I received. Thanks Pharmacist and others. In September I tried my first Durchstich refill on my 220/221 carts. I am happy to report that everything went exceptionally well. Because I was using blunts that I had received when I was doing top filling on my old IP4200 I used a pushpin to start a hole but then switched to a drill bit to carefully complete the front end entry hole. Pushed gently and carefully, the blunt needle easily found its way into the ink chamber without the preliminary step of using a sewing needle to prepare the way through the sponge. The refill process was quick and easy compared to the top fill method I was used to -- and certainly cleaner by leaps and bounds. The only ink staining I suffered was in pulling the plastic seal caps from the bulk ink bottles. My tip for newbies of any refilling method is to remove those plastic caps s-l-o-w-l-y and gently taking care not let it release suddenly or you'll have ink everywhere. ;)

user110000

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have just bought 364xl all 5 of them and want to start refilling.
I have bought the 5 inks from ebay thinking i would also have syringes but do not, the seller says to drip into the hole. In this forum you say it will take forever so I will follow your excellent instructions.
Unfortunately i am struggling to find needles that are correct length and gauge in ebay, usually length is too short.
I asked a few sellers if they have what i need, this is what i asked them
'Hi There, I need 5 syringes of say 10ml and 5 sharp needles minimum needle length 2inch/5cm long and optimal thickness 18 gauge.
For ink refill, please look at this for what i need to achieve
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4315
I hope you can help.'

Various replies are:
'hello, I have got 18g sharp needles but the actual needle is 1.5" inches. It measures 2" in total with the hub/fixture of the needle also you will gain extra length because you are fixing it on to the end of syringe. '

'Hi, Please see Item number: 120480548142 . I sell in packs of 6 or 4 with blunt or sharp needles 18g length 40mm. Please specify you want sharp when you order.'

'hello, I have got 18g sharp needles but the actual needle is 1.5" inches. It measures 2" in total with the hub/fixture of the needle also you will gain extra length because you are fixing it on to the end of syringe.'

'i do have 18 gauge but 1.5 " not 2".'

Could someone advise me whether any of these sound ok and would work fine or maybe let me know where I can buy some from or hint me in the right direction if this is against forum rules? Maybe even email?

My ink is starting to run low so will need to refill soon, was waiting for ink for 3 weeks only to find i need needles.
Many thanks in advance for any help.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi user110000,

the 1.5 inch needles might be sufficient. Just overlay the needle over the cartridge and see of it can reach the ink compartment, even if only the tip is reaching into the compartment, then it should be OK.

http://www.druckerchannel.de/artikel.php?ID=2191&seite=7&t=nr_364xl_schritt_2_kanuele_einfuehren

the above link is in german. You might click on the pictures to have an idea how to measure the proper needle length necessary to perform the german "Durchstich" method for these HP 364 XL cartridges. As you can see: on normal HP 364 standard capacity, there is no physical connection between the hollow ink compartment and the sponge area, so you must use the annoying dripping method, making the refilling very cumbersome.

user110000

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks, I have bought all xl cartridges and was very pleased to see the window which i thought would make it much easier to refill.
I measured what i could see to be the distance from the outside of the case to what i can visibly see to be the entrance to the ink compartment and i would say it is 42mm, just over 1.5inches, what do you suggest?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
I'm afraid you should look for those 2" needles, because if the needle is to short ink will be injected into the sponge, which you do not want to happen.

user110000

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
How about these?
SET OF 6 x 10ml SYRINGES COMES WITH 10cm BLUNT NEEDLES

THE NEEDLE'S DIAMETER ARE APPROX 2mm

??

Blue ink starting to get low btw lol