ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
oblue said:
ghwellsjr,
You put a piece tape over it but doesn't it come off when it gets wet?
I've never had one come off, but it does render the tape useless so it has to be replaced.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
ghwellsjr said:
oblue said:
ghwellsjr,
You put a piece tape over it but doesn't it come off when it gets wet?
I've never had one come off, but it does render the tape useless so it has to be replaced.
Oft repeated tip on this but if you use Aluminium tape (used for heating duct sealing, etc.. I believe) it has the best sealing qualities I've found to date. I've found it works particularly well when you want to seal air vents, open exit ports on cartridges, etc... It also doesn't allow too much in the way of ink creep that affects other adhesives/tapes so it's unlikely to peel off if the cartridge surface is clean to start with.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
i tried taping up the refill hole a few times. found that it took me longer to take off and put back the tape then to refill cart using squeeze bottles.

so now tossing caution to the wind and going with no tape.

i'm at over 175 refills and never had a leak.

but then again i do live dangerously and also use a drill to make the refill hole.

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I've (unfortunately) been refilling so infrequently these days that I don't mind the few extra seconds it takes me to unpeel my aluminum tape, refill, and fold it back on. I'm not at all convinced it is required, but again, I refill so infrequently that I figure it doesn't hurt.

I 100% agree with others regarding aluminum tape. Once I started using it to plug holes, I've never had a second thought of going back to plugs, hot glue, other tape, screws, etc. When I put it on, I fold a tiny bit of it back onto itself so it gives me a little loose edge to grip onto when removing. Again, I don't 100% remove, I just peel it out of the way enough to get my needle in.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
barfl2 Am I the only idiot who cannot achieve refilling with the German method ? Originally I tried on HP 364XL but found could not get the needle right through to the ink side (using 2" sharps) and the viewing was very restricted as well. Now I have got a Canon MP760 which is great apart from low density copies I had a lot of compatible Carts but no OEM I have now acquired a set via E-bay . For my first attempt I used a IJT comp. popular UK supplier drilled my hole inserted needle but could not get it through eventually as it was a sharp needle it found a path and got ink about 3/8" high in clear compartment and I started getting ink coming back down the refill hole plus ink was dripping out of the outlet hole. I stopped there cleaned up tried it in the printer it printed a nozzle check ok. Now I have just done the same to my only BC-6 black Cart I got the needle through on the second attempt but I got exactly the same as the IJT ink pouring out everywhere including the the breathing serpertine on the top. I left it for 2 hours level was the same about 3/8" and there was a black ink bubble on the breathing hole. I cleaned it up tried it in the printer showed level as 2 bars nozzle check OK. WHERE AM I GOING WRONG I cut a IJT apart and the ink entry aperture is very small so your entry hole would have to be very accurate to line up fillimng was a fibre material not foam but the case was very robust and appeared to match Canons dimensions very well.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Did you try refilling any of your OEM cartridges? Personally, I wouldn't use any but OEM.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hi ghwellsjr no this is my first attempt at Canon OEM and as detailed had the same disaster as I had experienced with both HP OEM and Canon compatible. I have no problem refilling HP56/57 but that is the basic top method injecting into the foam until it shows sign of being full. I have had so much trouble obtaining empty BC-6 carts that I was wary of spoiling the only BC-6Black although I have several of the compatibles. I am only 1/3rd full before ink is coming out everywhere I just cannot understand why I could take the filling bung out and topfill but it will still probably come out. otherwise printer is fine although comments Canon no longer stock the Printhead dismays me

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You are holding the cartridge upside down while refilling, I hope.

Canon has probably sold off their remaining stock of old print heads and they will probably be available on eBay but probably at higher prices.

dencar

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
binkie said:
nifty-stuff.com said:
By way of update: I just refilled all my carts with the "German Method" and I'm super pleased with how well it works. Ive been refilling carts for over 10 years and this is by far the easiest and most reliable process (Canon cards / "German method") that I've ever used. It has proven to be faster, easier, less messy, and I have less nozzle problems.

I only wish I had known about and used this process sooner!
It's even faster and less messy if you use squeeze bottles.

Click here to see squeeze bottles

Binkie
I second this. Much more convenient. Good service from OctoInkjet, too.