German "Durchstich" refill method for the PGI-520/CLI-521 cartridges

oblue

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi guys

I have a couple of questions about this "German "Durchstich" refill method for pg520 and cli521 cartridges. Do I have to start refilling with the ink outlet facing up or down? Secondly, I am just a bit concerned about hole drilled and left open. Although the pictures shows that no ink comes out of the hole, wouldn't it be better if I drill the hole a bit bigger and plug it with a plastic stopper similar to that of used on refillable ink cartridges? Because as far as I can see that the hole drilled is almost at the bottom and it seems that the ink eventually will come out of the hole.

Just one more question. I have just bought an mp550. If I refill the original cartridges, is there a way to reset the chips other than using a chip resetter?

So what do you think?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
oblue

Hundreds of guys use this method of refilling and none have reported ink leaking out of the hole.
Making the hole with a drill is not advised; just use a tool called an awl (recommended).
If you are still worried about leaking just put a small piece of tape over the hole.
Making a bigger hole is one way to guarantee that the cartridge will leak.
The resetter is the only sure way to reset these cartridges again.. :)

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I have had problems with the ink leaking out of the German refill hole, that's one reason I put a piece of tape over it.

oblue

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the advice guys.

ghwellsjr,
You put a piece tape over it but doesn't it come off when it gets wet?

The Hat,

Does it make any difference if I keep the cartridge in either position when refilling it? Also do you know that how much ink the new cartridges take i.e. 5ml, 10ml? The reason why i m asking this because the new ones are almost completely black as opposed to the transparent ones used previously (if i m not mistaken).

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
oblue:

When using the German Durchstitch method of refilling you should refill while the ink exit port is facing upwards to the sky. After filling the spongeless window within 2-4 mm from the "top", you then turn the cartridge rightside up (ink exit port now facing down towards the floor) and set it down in that position for a minute to let ink in the spongeless side wick into the sponge. When this has equilibrated, you may turn the cartridge upside down again and add more ink to within ~3-4 mm of the "top". Caveat -- put too much ink in and you will get leaks from the ink exit port when you turn the cartridge rightside up. If so, turn cartridge rightside up and let sit until ink drips out and equalizes pressures/volumes. You could squeeze the cartridge to facilitate the equilibrating process.

Go back to the first page of this thread and study the picture and text. Alternatively, there are YouTube videos on this method. Do a search for these videos.

The Hat states the experiences of the overwhelming majority of Durchstitch method refillers. Ghwellsjr's experience is a rarity on this forum. You may get drips from the refill hole depending on size of the hole, over-filling the cartridge, squeezing the cartridge, or, possibly, extremes in environmental conditions (large barometric pressure changes or high temperatures?). It is not clear if location of the refill hole on the side of the sponged area of the cartridge would contribute to leakage. Another potential cause of leak would be an unsealed purge hole on top of the spongeless side (also the type of hole one would use if refilling by the traditional top hole method). In this case, you would also have leaking from the ink exit port.

Some of the above reasons are hypothetical and some are real world examples I've experienced or read about. For me, the times I had leaks from the refill hole was when I squeezed the cartridge. I did this because I had over-filled the cartridge and it was dripping from the ink injection port (the sign of an over-filled cartridge). I also have had a leak when I tried to inject ink too fast/forcefully into a cartridge that had significant amounts of ink already in the sponge. In normal/customary usage the cartridge will not leak from the refill hole. You can always put a piece of tape over the refill hole if you are concerned about leaks or will be storing the cartridge for a period of time and are concerned about dessication.

I would add to The Hat's recommendation on making the refill hole by using a push pin and rotating it in a circular manner to enlarge the refill hole slightly to accommodate the syringe needle. recommendations is to make the refill hole just big enough to accommodate the needle. You'll understand how much is enough when you make your first hole. Just go small and enlargen it as needed. Alternate instruments for making the hole would be a heated paper clip. If you use a drill, make very sure you do not contact the sponge and dislodge/spin it as this might make the flow characteristics of the ink irreconcilalbly ruined.

paulcroft

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
@ oblue:

Two ways I have tried to make the hole for the 'German' method:

1. Heat an old needle over the flame of a gas cooker then, when good and hot, push gently into the cartridge.
2. Make an awl by cutting the end off an old screwdriver then file the circular shaft to a fine, tapered point, then harden by heating to cherry red in a gas flame then plunging into cold water.

Of the two methods I prefer the awl because using a tool with a decent handle is a lot easier to control than using a hot needle held in a pair of pliers. Of course, after you've made the hole in two sets of cartridges you won't need to do this again for a long, long time unless you plan to do it for all your friends and neighbours too!

I've never had a cartridge leak except, as someone above said, when I've inadvertently squeezed the cartridge after refilling.

You, I suspect, are currently in the same position as most, if not all of us were once. It looks far too easy to be true. But believe me, once you've done it a few times, you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you've got any spare old cartridges lying about why not try practising first using water. If you are looking for old cartridges you may want to check out your local supermarket. I noticed a huge box in my local Sainsburys the other day set aside for recycled cartridges. There were several thousand in there. Had I wanted any I'm sure I could have asked and been allowed to have a few.

Paul

oblue

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank both of you, and yes, I am in the same position as most were once :). One last thing, have you ever tried to make a hole close to top edge rather than making it at the bottom? Do you think that would make any problem if I did so?

paulcroft

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Making a hole at the top, good though it might sound, would not work. It is essential that you inject the ink into the ink reservoir and the only connection between here and the sponge chamber is at the bottom of the cartridge. Ergo, you make a hole at the bottom so the syringe needle can be pushed along the bottom of the cartridge, between the cartridge and the sponge, then through the connecting hole between sponge chamber and reservoir into the reservoir itself. If you make the hole at the top of the sponge chamber you cannot inject the ink into the reservoir.

Paul

Latest posts