German Durchstich refill method for Canon carts with pictures

rehardwick

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Here is a link to Inktec (Korea) and one can download videos or PDFs on how they recommend refilling ink cartridges with their tools. I picked the page that shows Canon, but there are three pages of instructions. They actually state the volume of ink to be inserted. I don't know how to buy their refill kits.

http://www.inktec.com/english/support/method.asp?kind=3

druckfink

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
where do you buy the refill ink for CANON PIXMA iP4200 that you show in your pictures?

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Druckfink,

The ink you can buy at Ebay. Just type in: Hobbicolors UW-8, Canon and you will be redirected to Hobbicolors. You can use Inktec ink as well, and the quality is very similar.

Defcon2k

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I'm using this method since 1,5 years now with my IP5200.
The first set of carts is still in use, and I never even had to flush it. The foam does not show any signs of deterioration, even if I pierced the foam of the yellow cart 100x to test this last year.
(I used Inktec ink all the time, but I guess about any brand will do just fine)

jru

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Defcon2,

Just a note to again express my appreciation to you for sharing this German Durchstich refill method with everyone on this forum, (and for posting videos no less!).

It seems like a great method.

And thanks too to Pharmacist for the great photos that started this thread on page 1!

I'm sure you have saved lots of people tons of time, by making it so easy and visual.

stuko

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I used this method for the first time today, and it was really easy and much cleaner and less error prone than my previous top filling episode. luckily for me I got the right length needles in my Redsetter package.

There is one thing I totally don't agree with though...
The refill hole being left open.

I understand the physics behind why you don't have to seal the hole. But why would Canon go to the trouble of providing a convoluted vent and extra sponge layer so that a cart can breathe through it when air pressure/temperature changes, when a simple direct hole in the side of the cart would have sufficed as per the German method?
And (if you ignore surface tension) doesn't that German hole short circuit the Canon ventilation, since it will have less resistance than the Canon sponge/vent?

In my case I covered it over with a small piece of foil tape, and will continue to do so. But it would be interesting to read what others think.

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The hole is left open for the ease of refilling, and that is it. There is no reason to cover it up, as it doesn't hinder the operation of the cartridge. It is purely up to the person recycling the cartridge, as to whether the hole is sealed.

"why would Canon go to the trouble of providing a convoluted vent and extra sponge layer so that a cart can breathe through it when air pressure/temperature changes, when a simple direct hole in the side of the cart would have sufficed as per the German method?"

Canon did it their way, when they made the cartridge, and the Germans refilled it their way when it was empty.......that's it, there is no secret high tech strategy.

Defcon2k

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Hi everybody, I had the following conversation with somebody at Youtube:

kuurgen: I've tried this method, it's all fun and games until the needle throws the foam out of alignmment

me: Maybe you used needles with a blunt tip, or 3rd party carts where the foam is not as good as in OEM carts? I'm refilling my first set of Canon carts since one and a half year now with a sharp needle without problems, so I don't know your problem... I'm just guessing here.

kuurgen: Yes it was blunt needles! I didn't think sharp needles were readily available!
So... does anybody know where to buy needles with a sharp tip in the USA? Or do you use a blunt needle without problems and can drop me a hint how to do so?
I really have no idea if blunt needles are problematic, since I've used sharp needles ever since.