Freedom Refill Method for Canon BCI 3, 5, 6 & CLI 8 & PGI 5 and others

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
You can bend clear tubing if you heat it carefully over a candle. Don't heat it too much or it becomes weak, and it could collapse under vacuum. Or you could just hold it bent while it's cold. Either way, you have to be careful to keep it on the cartridge. A rubber band helps.

The thing about the small tubing with a Luer connection is that the volume is a bit smaller, but I'm sure either way works.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
pelermon said:
Also my CLI-8PM cart has been empty for about one week, but I have had the orange cap on tightly.
I,m about ready to try to put ink in this cart. Should I purge it first or is it OK?
There's no harm in refilling without purging. That's normally what I do. If you discover a problem, you can always use your syringe to drain the ink out of the cartridge and fill it with water, repeating several times to purge it.

pelermon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Well living and learning.
I tried to bend the syringe tapered tip with heat. I melted a hole in it.
So I cut the syringe tapered tip off at the hole and did not have much left of the tapered tip to put the tubing, but I thought I had enough.
It could not have been messier. Thank god I was wearing gloves and did it in a laundry sink.
I did get cart about 3/4 full but the tube kept coming off the syringe. The sink looked like a crime scene, but I guess I did not waste as much ink as it looked.
I'll wait for the 60mm syringes to arrive to finish. I don't think I will have a problem again but I'll never do this out side a sink.
I think I will cut the syringe tip back and use the single 3/8" ID that I bent. The fit was so tight, had to pry the hose off the syringe tapered tip before I melted it.
Since I bought extra (they were only $1.02 ea. ) I might try bend the tip again, but I don't understand the advantage to reduce the volume with two tubing's.
Either way I'm covered and I'm happy not making any extra holes in the carts.
Although removing that ball and replacing it with a 1mm syringe end, looks like the 2nd best option.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Were you rotating the syringe while applying heat from a candle? And you have to hold it far enough away, at least an inch, so it doesn't get too hot too quickly.

The reason you want to reduce the volume is that it subtracts from the vacuum that gets applied to the cartridge.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:
Were you rotating the syringe while applying heat from a candle? And you have to hold it far enough away, at least an inch, so it doesn't get too hot too quickly.
Yes, absolutely. Keep it moving. And I wouldn't get it too hot. With the tubing I have it works best if you complete the bend while holding the hot part to keep it from flattening and getting weak. It's more warm than hot. Fortunately, you can afford to make mistakes.

ghwellsjr said:
The reason you want to reduce the volume is that it subtracts from the vacuum that gets applied to the cartridge.
Yes, and I suppose you save a little ink too.

EDIT: [red face]Oh, I see you were asking about a syringe, not tubing. [/red face]

pelermon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ghwellsjr said:

Well, that's where the problems all started. I didn't use a candle.
I used a little butane Harbor Fright torch. I thought I could control the heat better then what I did.
It worked fine for the tubing - Oh well - next time I'll use a candle.
Looks like the syringes will be here tomorrow - pretty fast shipping.

OK - Thanks for explaining the reducing the volume. I will step it down.

I am not going to mess with CIS, sounds like a big waste of time, (even though you can buy the whole kit for $41.86 now from InkUSA ) and its easy enough to fill the carts manually anyway.

pelermon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Wow - The 60cc Syringes from "allegromedica" came today already. Thats fast.
Bent the tip, looks good.
Fit the tubing - excellent.
Finish filling tonight.

pelermon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I could not get the cart full or solve the foam issue.
I wasted way to much and the potential for is big mess is great.

So I proceeded with the top fill
I remove that little ball with a hot screw, filled the ink reservoir directly, and plugged that hole with a 1/2mm syringe rubber end.
Absolutely no waste, very easy.
Now that the rubber plugs are in, the next time will be as easy, neat and fast as it gets.
If that top hole is not seal completely, it will leak.
Mine sealed completely, but that tacky putty around the plug might be good insurance.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
In a post in another thread I suggested that the storage clips from websnail could be used to make nice Freedom Refill adapters. Indeed they can. I've just made a set of adapters for BCI-3/PGI-5/PGI-220/225 and BCI-6/CLI-8/CLI-221/225. Link to clips here: http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/Cartridge-Clips{47}Holders-[Canon].html . Although not stated on the website, the clips are also suitable for the BCI-3/6 cartridges.

They hold the cartridge firmly in place and give a good seal. It is nice to get rid of the rubber bands used in my previous design.

6881_freedom_adapters_new.jpg

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
PeterBJ said:
In a post in another thread I suggested that the storage clips from websnail could be used to make nice Freedom Refill adapters. Indeed they can. I've just made a set of adapters for BCI-3/PGI-5/PGI-220/225 and BCI-6/CLI-8/CLI-221/225. Link to clips here: http://www.octoink.co.uk/products/Cartridge-Clips{47}Holders-[Canon].html . Although not stated on the website, the clips are also suitable for the BCI-3/6 cartridges.

They hold the cartridge firmly in place and give a good seal. It is nice to get rid of the rubber bands used in my previous design.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/6881_freedom_adapters_new.jpg
Nice job.

What materials and methods did you use in converting the clips?

Latest posts