Faint nozzle check Canon Pro 9500

Andraz

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 9500
Hi fellow printers!

I was recently given a used Canon Pro 9500 and decided to try myself at printing. it worked fine for a few weeks, but now I have a problem. The prints are suddenly washed out and on the nozzle check print, the group 2 inks (R, G, C, M, Y) are washed out. I am attaching pictures:

https://goo.gl/photos/KbTuhUuH5q73YDP3A: The upper nozzle check pattern was printed a few weeks ago when I first started printing, the lower one was printed today. All the group 2 inks are more washed out on the lower pattern (this is not a lightning issue, it really is that way)

https://goo.gl/photos/h5j3hiEUvteQrvh26: the upper image was printed yesterday, the lower one today. So I guess something occurred in the last day or so:)

I went through three deep cleaning cycles and two print head alignments and nothing changed. (I suspect it might be an electrical issue, since it occurred so suddenly and the entire group 2 is affected.)

I guess my question would be if anyone has seen this before and if anything can be done?

I have only discovered this forum today when researching this issue and it seems to be a great place for printers. This is my first post and I would really like it to be about something else but I promise I will stay active in the future:)

Thanks

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi @Andraz and welcome, you certainly have a strange printout, it’s one I’ve not seen before so.

What cartridges are you using, are they OEM of compatibles, because I do suspect your problem is more cartridge related then your print head.

Regardless of that what I would suggest you do is to remove cartridges R, G, C, M and Y and give them a good shake, like agitate them for about 20 seconds, then put them back in and try another nozzle print.

Please don’t do anymore head alignments or deep cleaning cycles because you’re only wasting your ink and neither will help with this issue.

If this does not help improve the colours then remove both cartridges and print head, then clean the back of the print head with some alcohol and or a rubber eraser, like on the top of a pencil, put them both back into the printer again and run another nozzle print to see if that has helped..
Report back when you can please..

john kelly

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon pro-10
I'm not familiar with 9500 but Pro-10 printer driver has adjustments that might, with passage of time or electrical events (unreliable source, lightning etc) might abandon "zero" settings.

Andraz

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 9500
The Hat, thanks for the detailed instructions!

I tried shaking the cartridges, but it didn't work, the nozzle check is still the same. I will try cleaning the printhead today.

Maybe I can tell you what I did immediately before I noticed the problem. I tried printing a colormunki pattern so I friend of mine would make me an ICC profile. I changed color management from "managed by lightroom" to "managed by printer". It looked a bit weird (some color smudging/pooling) so I ran a nozzle check and noticed the problem. After that I did the cleaning processes and head alignment. The first head alignment had weird results, only about half a page was printed and some of the bars were only partially printed. The second head alignment was ok (at least comparing with examples found on the internet). Interestingly, the colors on the head alignment print are not faint, they are much stronger than on the nozzle check print. I can upload an image later, if this is relevant.

After that I tried various color management settings (managed by printer, ICM etc.) but the results never changed. I also reinstalled the printer driver.

Thanks again and I will report back on how the cleaning went.

Andraz

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 9500
john kelly, do you know what are these adjustments and can they be reset or fixed somehow?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
A service test print from service mode could show if the problems are caused by an electronic failure of the print head. But the procedure for obtaining this test print is dependent on if the printer is a Pro 9500 or a Pro 9500 Mk II. So which version is your Pro 9500?

Andraz

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 9500
It's the Pro 9500.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The procedure for entering service mode and doing service mode operations is found in the service manual. Here is a link to the service manual: http://dfiles.eu/files/558j10rhg and here to the parts catalog: http://piese-imprimanta.ro/pdfs/1349_PRO_9500.pdf . AVG Internet Security found nothing wrong in the downloads.

See page 1-23 in the service manual for entering service mode and doing a service test print *. See pages 1-26 and 1-27 for interpretation of the service test print.

*There is an error in the service manual, see this warning: http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/warning-error-in-some-canon-service-manuals.6388/

*Here is a modified procedure to correct the errors:

<Service mode operation procedures>
1) With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button, press and hold the Power button. (DO NOT release the buttons. The Power LED lights in blue.)
2) While holding the Power button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT release the Power button.)
3) While holding the Power button, press and release the Resume/Cancel button 2 times, and then release the Power button. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in blue, starting with Alarm LED.)
4) When the Power LED lights in blue*1, press the Resume/Cancel button the specified number of time(s) according to the function listed in the table below. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in blue, starting with Alarm LED.)
5) Execute the selected function by pressing the Power button once.
6) After having finished service mode operations leave service mode by turning off the printer using the Power button.

Errors made in service mode can cause problems, so if you are unsure about service mode operations please ask before making mistakes.

Andraz

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 9500
So, I just made a service test print and the results are interesting. It seems only half of the group 2 cartridges is working or something like that. I am not sure how to interpret it. Has anyone seen something like this before?

Link https://goo.gl/photos/2Vkih2Qvjgcsc94K7

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
This is what your Service print should look like, 10 full blocks..

9500.jpg