Epson XP-200 or WF-30 with CISS?

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP Deskjet Ink Advantage 5525
Hi all,

I'm going to get a new printer, and I got 2 options: Epson Expression XP-200 with CISS and Epson Workforce 30 with CISS. I'm going to use pigment ink.

My usage requirements: I mainly print color documents and music notation on plain papers. I only seldomly print images on photo papers and doesn't need super high quality of photo printing.

I heard people say that WF series handle paper pulling better and print faster than XP series.

Can anyone suggest which one to go? Anyone have experience with those 2 models already please tell us the pros and cons of each?

Thank you.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Bothe models are listed as 'discountinued product' on the Epson pages, are you looking to purchase them as new ?

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Actually in Vietnam, we only have 3 options: Epson L series, Epson printer with OEM cart and old models of Epson printer with CISS.

The common option I see on this forum is using fairly new Epson models (like WF-3540 for example) with refillable cart or CISS, resettable chip. Unfortunately we don't have chip and refillable cart for those new models available in here. And import them from oversea with tax is way too expensive.

The reason is I think might be the market: we want to buy cheap printers to maximize profit (when doing color printing service, photocopying services. Some even use the printer with ink that destroy the printhead to do one time service (like dye sub ink, UV ink, eco solvent ink, or even oil based ink to print on glass, couche paper, plastic tube, etc.). So the sellers only import accessories for those old dirt-cheap printer, not the new fancy ones.

I actually want to get a L series and use Inktec pigment ink, but they're fairly expensive. So I decided to go with old model but brand-new ones, and there're only 2 choices: XP-200 and WF-30.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
ref paper feed problems - those depend very much on the type of paper you are using, how stiff it is, how smooth the backside is etc. And generally spoken, there are less problems with non-standard papers when the printer feeds them from the back, and not from the bottom. Such bottom feed units have the advantage of an enclosed paper container, but the paper needs to be bent by 180 deg before it reaches the print area. It's a matter of convenience to work with a L series model, you have much less activity with refilling, resetting chips, pushing reset buttons etc, and your waste ink container will fill up slower because you don't have a cleaning cycle with every cartridge reset since there are no cartridges of the classical type anymore. You don't have these advantages with a CISS retrofit.

goohobot

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX397, EPSON WF30
@thanhhuy123 Did you ask the same question on kythuatin.com? I have answered your question there.

By the way, I have a Workforce 30 printer in function. If you like, you can come have a look. (I'm not a seller, just a normal user like you.) I live in Saigon also.

thanhhuy123

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
ref paper feed problems - those depend very much on the type of paper you are using, how stiff it is, how smooth the backside is etc. And generally spoken, there are less problems with non-standard papers when the printer feeds them from the back, and not from the bottom. Such bottom feed units have the advantage of an enclosed paper container, but the paper needs to be bent by 180 deg before it reaches the print area. It's a matter of convenience to work with a L series model, you have much less activity with refilling, resetting chips, pushing reset buttons etc, and your waste ink container will fill up slower because you don't have a cleaning cycle with every cartridge reset since there are no cartridges of the classical type anymore. You don't have these advantages with a CISS retrofit.

Come on, you've just successfully convinced me to wait til I can afford and go with Epson L series :D:D

L120 seems very good and affordable, but its max res is only 720dpi, making it only suitable for printing document on plain paper and maybe inkjet or matte paper. I can't image printing photo on photo paper with 720 dpi res. :O

@thanhhuy123 Did you ask the same question on kythuatin.com? I have answered your question there.

By the way, I have a Workforce 30 printer in function. If you like, you can come have a look. (I'm not a seller, just a normal user like you.) I live in Saigon also.

Hi @goohobot , let me just summary your reply from kythuatin.com here, in English:

He advised me to go with dye ink, and there's no need to use pigment ink.
His experience said that WF-30 prints slowly and the color doesn't look good.
He suggests a Canon 7270 printer (wifi, duplex auto, faster than Epson).

I haven't actually use WF-30 but according to the specs, its printing speed is 16 ISO ppm (Black) and 5.5 ISO ppm (Color) so the number indicates that printing speed is quite high, much higher than XP-200 (Epson define ISO speed is speed printing in "Normal" default mode, not "Draft").

Hmm, well dye ink will benefit from not being prone to clogging but because I print document that need to be handled by hand (might be wet hand) and mess around with highlighter, so pigment ink is the way to go. (One note here: by pigment ink I mean: water-based pigment ink, not "pigment uv" or the oil-based pigment ink. Those concepts and terms are just being messed around in our country) That's also the original ink type used in both printers: the Epson DURABrite, so let just use the same type :D

Hmm, the Canon one is interesting. However, that one use pigment for black, and dye for color, compared to all-pigment Epson.

I know and also want to use HP and Canon printers that utilize all 4 CMYK pigment ink (HP Officejet higher series, Pro/Enterprise series, Pro/Enterprise X series, Canon Maxify series) because at the same price they offer more features and faster print speed vs Epson. Those use all pigment ink and that pigment ink is specially made for thermal printhead. Those type of ink is impossible to find in Vietnam, whereas pigment ink for Epson is ubiquitous. If I go with HP/Canon then I can at most find and use pigment ink for black and stay with dye for color. There are also issues about the unavailable of refillable cart, arc chip and resetter.

Anyone interesting in opening an inkjet store selling many ink types and accessories in Vietnam to solve all the headache issues we have? :D

Anyway, I very appreciate your comment and contribution, and welcome to PrinterKnowledge forum :D :D