Epson Waste Ink Pad Reset Utility R260, R280, R380, Rx580, Rx595

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
You can obtain your Epson waste ink pad reset utility for your newer Epson printer here ( North American models only)

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/InkPadsForm.jsp

The official availability of this directly to the consumer throws the question of which printer to get into a tough one.

These newer Epson printers print very beautiful images, many prefer their output over Canon but that is purely subjective, suffice to say pretty darn good, they print DVDs very nicely, are fast enough for most users, and if you hunt carefully can get refillable cartridges for them with no issues of flushing after so many uses etc. Dare I say easier to refill than the Canon tank?

As for clogging, my experience with the latest generation has been quite good. How about three weeks of non use and it fires up perfectly without a head cleaning. Is that good enough?

My experience with these piezo heads is that they are extremely rugged and durable and will take much more abuse before failing as compared to a Canon whose heads are not as rugged.

The only reservation I had about these were that you could not get the waste ink pad reset utility. Well with Epsons' releasing it to the public that goes down like the Berlin wall.

As for changing the waste ink pad? Well if you look carefully at the printer, the waste ink pad is actually quite accessible compared to prior designs. Better yet, is that if you have a source of vacuum, you can actually rinse the waste ink pad and dry it without taking the printer apart at all! You can access it just by moving the head assembly to the left and getting to the bottom of the reservoir tank(...it is a tank now and will hold at least 6-8 ozs) and vacuuming it out. So there is no real pressing need to install a waste ink tank.

I can't find a negative about these printers anymore or at least I'll have to try hard. The only negative is that it is more wasteful of ink, but if you price bulk ink appropriately, that is not as huge a hurdle as you may have thought previously.

That makes the decision as to Canon or Epson ever more difficult and tips the scale compared to a month ago.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Well that's interesting...

I just checked the Epson.co.uk website and found this:

Ive heard that Epson is making a Reset Tool available publicly. Is it possible for users to reset their printers themselves?

Please contact the Customer Interaction Centre or an authorised Epson Service Centre for support and advice.
ref: http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Vi...=319643&data=zbff+oTjl0F8ZpjFZN3NQVUr7E3IbTuN

Perhaps someone has pointed out to Epson they have a lawsuit coming regarding their WEEE liabilities... About ruddy time!! :D

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
I agree with you mikling 100%, Epson did a great job with their new line of (DYE) printers.:D

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well, I can't say I'm surprised by this but I contacted Epson today to see if anything similar was available here in the UK and to paraphrase here's what I was told

1. No such utility was available in the UK and no plans have been made known regarding such a move here either (ie: no ETA, no plans)
2. The only way to get the get the waste counter reset (officially) was to follow the original route of taking it to an official repair center or (and this was interesting) send the unit in and they would replace it at a highly discounted cost, with a refurbished unit.

I explained that I was a little unsurprised but disappointed that we weren't getting the same options in the UK and that refurbished units, whilst welcome, weren't much good as I had already modified my printers to eject waste ink to an external tank so they weren't going to be able to help anyway. I was polite throughout though :)

Anyways, great news for the USA folks but it seems that good old Epson UK aren't going to be changing their tune until the EU and/or government here get more aggressive with the WEEE directive on electronics waste and disposal and force a change. Time to consider a word with my MP I shouldn't wonder.

Ah well... :p

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
websnail said:
Well, I can't say I'm surprised by this but I contacted Epson today to see if anything similar was available here in the UK and to paraphrase here's what I was told

1. No such utility was available in the UK and no plans have been made known regarding such a move here either (ie: no ETA, no plans)
2. The only way to get the get the waste counter reset (officially) was to follow the original route of taking it to an official repair center or (and this was interesting) send the unit in and they would replace it at a highly discounted cost, with a refurbished unit.
Take a look in this site http://indoreset.blogspot.com/ I have been using the r390 adjustment program in my R380 (Ink waste reset only)for over 3 months with excellent results.:D

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
lolopr1 said:
websnail said:

Take a look in this site http://indoreset.blogspot.com/ I have been using the r390 adjustment program in my R380 (Ink waste reset only)for over 3 months with excellent results.:D
Thanks for the link... turned out to be rather useful :)

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You say that refilling Epson cartridges is easier than Canons??? While I agree with most of your posts, this one is way off base. The average person will never refill these correctly and without frustration. Many have tried...few have succeeded.

Epson has no moral authority in my books. In some models like the CX6600, this message appears after only 5000 pages..5000PAGES!!!!

"Parts inside your printer are reaching their end of service life." Nonsense. A quick reset gives you another 5000, and another 5000, and another 5000.

Ink permanence aside is their only substantial advantage, and I find that Epson models have in fact, deteriorated over the years. Their clogging problems are well-known, and as someone who sells and maintains printers, I get to see a lot of unhappy Epson customers, and I have not sold any Epson printers for 3 yrs now. Bring back the 880!!!

Right now, I only sell Canons and HPs..and my customers are much happier with overall quality and cost of operation...isn't that the bottom line???

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Refilling a spongeless refillable cartridge is much easier than refilling a Canon OEm cartridge anyday. Better yet, they refill inside the printer and you can still retain your ink level monitors. Please reread my reference carefully. The newest OEM cartridges cannot be said to be easy to refill...the spongeless refillable is the point of reference.

The newest generation of Epsons, must be reviewed because they are a major step forward. I've owned many Epsons before and pretty much have stepped through BOTH Canons and Epsons. If you haven't bothered to acquire and test them and LEARN about them, you are missing something and need to keep an open mind that products evolve.

I'm currently testing a CX6000. This is now discontinued, it is sitting with spongeless refillables and even this older one, is actually pretty good despite the rotten reputation it has in the market and internet. Most of the problems really lie in the source and preparation of the cartridges.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just a quick note on the CX6600 (not sure if that's equiv' to the CX6000)... As Manachau pointed out the printer is VERY prone to ink wastage and to get the most out of the unit you'll need to adapt it to use an external waste ink tank.

I got one of these on spec for Bex about 3 years ago and figured out the hows on it so check the guide here:
http://www.continuousink.info/forum/kb.php?mode=article&k=7

As to refilling... Narry a clue there so I'll let this return to the earlier discussion ;)