Epson Stylus Pro 3880 or SC-P800 length limit for Multi-sheet feeder?

Trevorm7

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
None
I'm doing a project that involves overlaying text on charts that are 14" x 25.5". I was wondering before I buy one of these if it's going to be a problem because it says from 4” x 6” to 17” x 22” on Epson's site for the P800.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
get http://mirage.dinax.de/ there will be no length limit. I don't see the P800, only P600. but you could email them about it.

Trevorm7

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
None
Thanks, but I forgot to mention that I did test out the drivers for the 3880 and p800 and was able tell it to print with the 25.5" length, but since I don't have the printer I don't know if the printer itself will stop me after that point. The only reason I'm concerned is because I saw in a video that the printer itself asks you to select the paper size that's in the multi-sheet feeder. So I'm worried that a non-standard size might be a problem at least for that tray despite the driver letting me do it.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
the P800 can be used with a roll holder for roll paper, and then about any length, within the max. limit, can be handled easily.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I'm doing a project that involves overlaying text on charts that are 14" x 25.5". I was wondering before I buy one of these if it's going to be a problem because it says from 4” x 6” to 17” x 22” on Epson's site for the P800.

Have you got a text editor that can handle a 25 ft. paper width ? :hu

RogerB

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Pro3880
Thanks, but I forgot to mention that I did test out the drivers for the 3880 and p800 and was able tell it to print with the 25.5" length, but since I don't have the printer I don't know if the printer itself will stop me after that point.
I don't know about the P800 but using the Epson driver, the 3880 will print upto 950mm. I think Epson say 17" x 22" because it's the largest paper they sell! You can set any custom paper size up to 950mm on the 3880.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
AFAIK Mirage RIP drives printer itself therefore bypassing the paper length limit.
They have new website now, and I do not know where they talk about it. On the old website they clearly said so.

Trevorm7

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
None
the P800 can be used with a roll holder for roll paper, and then about any length, within the max. limit, can be handled easily.
OK. But I'm printing on preprinted and pre-folded charts(so they fit in a folder), so I can't use roll paper.

Have you got a text editor that can handle a 25 ft. paper width ? :hu
I'm using a blank image file with text painted in.

I don't know about the P800 but using the Epson driver, the 3880 will print upto 950mm. I think Epson say 17" x 22" because it's the largest paper they sell! You can set any custom paper size up to 950mm on the 3880.
Yeah, I thought so, I'm just worried the multi-sheet feeder might be picky as I mentioned earlier because it asks for a specific size. I need someone that owns this printer to check this out.

AFAIK Mirage RIP drives printer itself therefore bypassing the paper length limit.
They have new website now, and I do not know where they talk about it. On the old website they clearly said so.
Thanks, that will be something to try if I have trouble, but I doubt that will effect the auto-feed if it's the part that creates a restriction somehow.

Here's the video showing the auto-feed asking for size https://youtu.be/fI8etzoAtxs

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
these printers are by the design of their drivers page printers, they want to know the max. printable area. So if you enter a page length of 20" but send data for 22" it won't print the data beyond the 20" limit but feed the paper and wait for a end of page. If you enter a 22" page length but use 18" paper it'll stop printing before the bottom edge and discard the rest of the data, and feed the next page. Ink jet printers are not line printers like the old needle printers printing as long as you send data and formfeeds for the next line.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
like the old needle printers

I still have an EPSON LQ1170 dot matrix printer stored here somewhere, it's even got the optional page sheet feeder ! As normally they expected to be fed by the user single sheet at the time.