Epson R285 dropping blobs of ink

tenbob0

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I was given this printer which was used briefly then stored for a few months. I fitted a new set of auto-reset cartridges and cleared some blocked nozzles.

It now gives a perfect nozzle check and prints really well apart from one thing. It drops big blobs of ink randomly on the paper.

I can't see where it's coming from. It's worst after a purging operation. The underside of the printhead is wet through with surplus ink. If I move the head away from the parked position and slide a strip of paper under it, the paper comes out soaked in ink, mainly black and cyan. During printing the ink drips off on to the paper and various parts of the mechanism. After I blot up the surplus and print a few sheets it's OK until another purge occurs.

I can't see any significant leakage when I take out the cartridges and look around the spikes. It's as if the purge operation is sucking ink through the head, but not removing it completely. But I can't see why that would happen.

Can anyone suggest what may be wrong?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You could have a number of things going wrong at the same time, firstly one or more of the new cartridges could be leaking or you purge unit could be bunged up with old ink and the wiper unit may not be functioning properly also.

Try flooding the purge unit area (Capping station) with Window cleaner and after several minutes run a cleaning cycle, Epson guru’s maybe able to suggest even more ideas to you than I can, but try the suggestion above anyway..

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
Sometimes the same happens to me with my r285 and refillable carts.
I think it is due to the carts: from bad air flow or wrong pressure or bad sealing of the refill hole plug...sometimes (seldom) a cart runs empty into the printer overnight...
I did not find out the exact reason, fortunately it does not leak anymore in the last months.
But I would examine this part, eventually try new refillables, and pay attention to proper refill and priming.

tenbob0

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the very useful suggestions. I think I have now fixed this (fingers crossed) and have learned a lot more about how things work in the process.

The problem was that the plugs in the filling holes of the cartridges were not sealing properly. I now know that if the filling hole is left open (even partially) then all the ink can seep out of the cartridge and pass through the printhead causing the mess I described. For proper operation you have to let some air into the cartridge, but only very slowly. That is the purpose of the other air hole on the top of the cartridge. It admits air gradually through a long labyrinth path with high resistance to flow.

My refillable cartriges were supplied with soft rubber plugs in pretty colours. They turn out to be quite a loose fit in the filling holes. I got rid of them and replaced them with some luer plugs that I had. These are made of a harder plastic and can be twisted firmly into the existing holes.They stick up a bit more, so I had to remove the lid of the cartridge holder.

Results are now a lot better. I spent a couple of days dismantling and tinkering with the printer. I've also wasted a lot of ink through seepage and various cleaning cycles. At one stage I opened the little trapdoor at the back and disconnected the waste ink pipe to check the purge pump was working. I was horrified to see how much ink was ejected while cleaning. I hope it's all worth it. Thanks for the help.