Epson R2400 waste ink, method of acess?

nigelwackenfrets

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Just when i thought it could be a contender, i justed watched as the waste ink went somewhere in my R2400. Now it is shut down and I need instructions about what to do to service waste ink provisions on this printer. Any advice?

Also what is the constituent of Epson print head cleaner?

Thanks

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
You mean you are leaking waste ink from the underside of the printer?

If that is the case, it's kind of a bit too late now isn't it?

Ist thing I do whenever I get a new printer is install an external waste ink bottle to collect all waste ink generated during prinming and general cleaning cycles.

Other than you, or some Epson service center servicing it for you, it will cost probably more than the printer is worth, you will have to reset the Waste Ink Counter and definitely install some waste ink system to collect any future waste ink.

I don't know what's the actual components of print head cleaner but many of us just use original ammonia based Windex brand window cleaner.
One of the experts here has a formula made up of Isopropyl Alcohol, ammonia, and I believe PEG that he uses. I am sure he will chime in with the proportional info for you.

OutOFtheinkwell

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I used to use a waste ink tank but now I just let the pads get soaked and when that is really bad usually after 3 or 4 resets I slip a pan under the printer like the ones you use to catch oil under your car. That works well until the printer starts floating then it's harder to type on the machine as it bobs up and down.

Just joking with you! Have a great day...John!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
OutOFtheinkwell said:
I used to use a waste ink tank but now I just let the pads get soaked and when that is really bad usually after 3 or 4 resets I slip a pan under the printer like the ones you use to catch oil under your car. That works well until the printer starts floating then it's harder to type on the machine as it bobs up and down.

Just joking with you! Have a great day...John!
I do love nautical stories..:yuckyuck

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
The R2400 was one of the last supported by SSC reset utility which is free and legal. It works fully even in Win 7

http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml

This utlity does a lot more than just reset the waste in pad counter. You can even use the OEM chips to reflash the chips to a stored value as well.
R2400waste-1.jpg

R2400waste3.jpg

R2400waste2.jpg

All needed is some flexible aquarium tubing.
3/16 OD rigid tubing. to splice tubes.
waste container.
1/4" drill.
Remove the screws at rear, get the side panel off. Install away.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
After reading this I thought I would mess around a bit with my R2400s counter.
I am running a waste ink bottle and the counter is about 45% according to WIC reseter monitoring utility.
So I thought I would try SSC since you say it works on WIN 7. I installs - I can find the printer - I cannot get it to show me the current count - it errors - but IO can go through the motions or resetting it. It asksme if I change the pads and I of course say yes.
Then it states that the counter is zeroed. I turn off and restart the printer.
The counter is still at 45% according to the WIC counter monitor.
So I have no idea whether it actually works with WIN 7?

By the way the stylus 2200 can be manually reset using a procedure I can post if anyone is interested.
The problem with the 2200 is it does not have a removable side panel like most other printers so there's no simple way to get to the waste ink tube.

websnail, any ideas??????
Thanks

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
jtoolman, restart the computer. I think the data is cached and is not being flushed. I've tested it on Win 7 Pro 64 bit as well as 32 bit. It worked on this as well as the R200.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Nope. Did not reset back to zero as reported by SSC. I restarted the 2200 Printer ( also with unplugging printer ) as well as the computer.
In fact my R340 is being reported by WIC as having already over flowed at over 245% which is crazy because even though it is on a waste bottle, wouldn't it have shut down long ago? Now that's weird eh? The actual last seemingly correct counter % I remember seeing was about 30% a few weeks ago.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Just checked my R2400 which I reset last week with SSC. Current reading is 351 of a total of 17772. What is the max reading of your 2400? is it also 17772?

When I first checked my 2400 was also showing that it had gone beyond the max as well. So????

Now it would be interesting if it was different. It also reset an R200 with the blinkies which was on its second round of reset.....that old dye printer is actually pretty good I must say. The R200 forced me to try SSC on Win7 as before it had been used to reset it with XP.

My Win 7 Pro 64 bit is fully updated.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I cannot preview the counter level using the CSS tool at all. on any of my computers. It just shows up an error window. However it will go throught he motions of supposedly resetting the counter but whe I use SIC to preview the counter level it shows it as unchanged. I am not sure right now about when the actual physical numbers as I am upstairs and not next tot he main pc in my basment but it is at 45% so I am safe for th time being. I have found other so called Adjustment Programs on line but nothing is working on my machines. It's not a roblem right now. I just need to make sure that when I really need to I'll have something that will work for me. I do have the free Epson utility ( USA only ) for it but that only seems to work when the counter has maxed out and the printer has shutdown.