Epson or Canon, advice for a new printer

CptOrange16

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Non cause it died
Hello everyone
This is my first post here, I need to get a new printer and, since I have always used hp, I'm a bit clueless on the other 2 brands. The reason I'm switiching brands is my last 2 printers died only 2 days after warranty, even with brand cartridges and regular printing (first printhead died, second something in ink distribution ruptured and it drowned in black ink) and also very poor customer service.
Since I can't really understand the specification sheets I'll share the ones I've been looking at and hopefully you'll be able to give some input on the difference between the various models.
Main features I looked for:
  • WIFI connection
  • Automatic double sided printing
  • Availability of non oem or refillable cartridges
  • Price of original cartridges
Epson:
Epson expression premium xp 530 - 85 euros
(Oranges cartridges, very hard to find non oem)
Epson expression premium xp 605 - 80 euros
(Polar Bear cartridges, easy to find non oem)

Canon:
Pixma MG5650 - 65 euros
Pixma MG6650 - 80 euros
Pixma MG6450 - 75 euros
Pixma MG5550 - 70 euros
(Easy to find no oem for all of them)

I've noticed that all canon are bigger then the epsons but as I'm looking to get the most quality for the price, the looks are not that important.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Hi @CptOrange, I am sorry you haven’t had much luck owning a decent reliable printer, but maybe that is all going to change, now that you found the best printer forum.

I am bios towards Canon printers, so I can only give advise on them, the list below you mentioned that there were no OEM for any of them, I am assuming that you meant “non”
Canon:
Pixma MG5650 - 65 euros
Pixma MG6650 - 80 euros
Pixma MG6450 - 75 euros
Pixma MG5550 - 70 euros
(Easy to find no oem for all of them)

Well there is good news there because there is plenty of compatible carts and inks available for each of these models here:- http://www.octoink.co.uk/categories/*-Canon-Printer-Products/MX-Series/Pixma-MX925/

Now that cares care of your query on Canon, so maybe some else will give you a more information on the Epson models you’re interested in.. :)

CptOrange16

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Non cause it died
Hi @The Hat thank you for your reply :)
Yes I did meant "non oem" (typing on tablets can be a bit tricky) and yes fortunatly it is quite easy to find cartridges for all those models in near by stores or websites, I'm from Portugal so shipping fees can be a problem when using uk or de websites.
Regarding the canon printers, these models seem very similar to me, and I'm not sure what the differences are but there must be some, since the price is different, maybe some are older models?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There is a difference in all of these printers, it starts from the MG5650 which I imagine is just a basic model and then as you go up in price they adds in extra carts, Wi-Fi, Duplex, Cloud and iPhone printing, so study the specifications carefully to choose the one that suites you best.

Be careful where you buy your compatible cartridges from, because not all of them have good quality ARC chips fitted..

CptOrange16

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Non cause it died
@The Hat thank you so much for your help
Surprisingly the store where I bought the hp printer, even though the warranty has expired, has decided to fix it and they did, it prints again, so happy that I don't have to spend the extra money.
When this one dies though, I will switch to some other brand so thanks for the tips.
I'll go check out the cartridge section of the forum for some compatibles and tips for my hp 5520 (364), never used non oem on it but now the cartridges available are better, might aswell try it