Epson 1290 nozzle outs

brian_mk

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1290
My Epson 1290 is around 13 years old now. It's been pretty reliable, but over the last few weeks I've begun to experience more nozzle outs.

If I initiate a head clean operation, the nozzle blockages appear to move around - i.e. the nozzles that were blocked become clear, but others that were ok become blocked. In other words, the fault doesn't appear to be a single blocked nozzle.

Similarly, if I use the SSC utility to clean the black head only, I often get new blockages appearing in the colour heads and vice versa.

I seem to be wasting so much ink on head cleaning it's becoming uneconomical to continue to use. The internal waste ink pads have just about reached their limit.

I've always used genuine Epson Ink and the printer is usually turned on and used at least a couple of times a week.

I've tried cleaning and flushing the heads and the capping station & pad thoroughly using isopropyl alcohol and changed the ink cartridges but I'm still having problems. I can't see anything obviously wrong with the wiper or capping mechanism.

I have noticed that after leaving the machine for a couple of hours with the heads parked, blocked heads sometimes appear to clear themselves.

Any suggestions (other than buy a new printer)?

Last edited:

Latest posts