Converting ciss from bottom feed to Top feed

zing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
pixma pro 100 pixma, pm610
Many thanks to Hat for his help! I didn't mean to hi jack the other thread, so in case there are others considering installing a ciss on an Epson printer that uses pigmented ink, this could be a place ! to start

I already have a new empty tank on hand, so I think I'll go that route so I can easily seal the bottom fittings where the tubes would normally go ahead of time. The kit also came with air vents elbows and tube gaskets etc.

I'm glad I'm using a quality ink set from precision colors.

The first question I have is how far do the tubes need to extend inside the bottle into the ink supply ?

I think after that I can experiment with the level of the ink supply in relation to the level of the print head and cartridges.

On my present ciss I just raised and lowered the bottles until I got the air bubbles to disappear with the ink flowing in the right direction. Luckily I knew not to go above the height of the cartridges in the printer and avoided flooding the printer with ink.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions !!

zing

martin0reg

Printer Master
Reaction score
You may take a look at inkrepublic, they have not only similar tubing from top of the bottles but also special dampers:
http://www.inkrepublic.com/Comparison.asp
I'm not sure how critical the feed from top or bottom really is. Because epson's own ITS seems to feed from bottom..?... and these dampers may also be important, as settlement of pigments could also clog the carts of a standard dye ciss..?

BTW there is much information to be found regarding DIY CISS's here in the forum, i remember one hidden in a armchair (kind of weird project but instructive)
http://www.printerknowledge.com/threads/homemade-ciss.6960/page-3
...if you read this thread you may prefer a ready-made solution...

Last edited:

zing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks Martin, I love reading the old threads. I think I can do this conversion!

On another note I love the old camera in your avatar pic. My dad and I used to collect speed graphics and others as well as my brother. When they both passed I inherited all the cameras and now have a large collection including wood view cameras from 4 x5 to 8 x 10 and more accessories than I know what to do with along with a butt load of med format and 35 mm. I love them all but its a chore keeping them clean and the parts free and moving !!

Thanks for the great advice !!

zing

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@zing, I have never used a top mounted CISS but I reckon the tubing would have to extend down to about 1” from the bottom and you’d have to mark the bottle at that point to insure you don’t allow the ink to get that low, else you’d be sucking air.

Don’t forget to shake the reservoir bottles a little every couple of days to keep the pigment from settling on the bottom, otherwise it seems to me that you have everything else covered... :cool:

zing

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thank you Hat and Martin I really do appreciate the help and advice as always. I love pampering my equipment to get the best results and the longest life from them.

zing

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
When using a top fed ciss, there best way is to use a dip tube that goes down near to the bottom and at the end of the dip tube, you cut it diagonally at 45 degrees or so so that it is unlikely to get blocked by being flush to a surface.

The choice of containers should be a consideration. Wide containers that minimize the movement of liquid levels as the ink is consumers is best. So it is better to use a squat short container than a narrow tall container. This will minimize the pressure variances as the ink is consumed. Vent holes should be as small as possible and ideally covered so dust does not drop into the tank.
The use of rectangular bottles all bunched together is ideal. Search for suppliers of squat square bottles.

What you can do if you want a top fed isobaric system is to basically remove and seal off the bottom outlet using silicone or hot melt glue. Using the larger top plug on these typical CISS systems, feed the tube through the plug after creating hole through which the tube can pass and towards the bottom of the tank keeping it a a small height away from the bottom. The feedthrough should be airtight. This will then allow a top fed isobaric system. Is isobaric necessary? Not that I've found as long as you keep the ink height in the containers at low heights.

A small bit of air initially in the tube is not a concern as that air will be filtered inside the cart as it would rise to the top and not get picked up.

The container size should be something that is consumed in about six months or less so that not too much old ink remains over time.