compatible ink for Canon Pro9500

Robertgemcol

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ok The 9000 has the 8's have a resetter for the 8 if you need it so email me if you want it

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Robertgemcol,

Could you please stop making advertisements for yourself. I'm selling this Canon i9950 as a private person. Besides, there are a lot of resetters for sale now for the Canon cartridges. The problem is that even with resetters the chips tends to fail after a time (static electricity ?) and buying new catridges for the chip is rather expensive. Even used cartridges are now becoming very expensive. With the older BCI-6 carts you don't need expensive chips or resetters and no more annoying errors caused by faulty chips.

Robertgemcol

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Well i can say the same to you For refrance (Using Hobbicolors UW-8 ink)

I am only offering a solution to a problem and if i wanted to advertise i would have done so but i am playing by the rules

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Robertgemcol,

OK well I don't sell those Hobbicolors UW-8. Only Dave from California is selling them. Besides: I send you a mail concerning the Epson Pro 3800 for the refillable cartridges + resetter. Do you have any idea when these items will be available ?
I presume you are the same person at stevesforums.com ?

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Smile said:
fish said:
Smile,
Just curious but why would you purchase a pigment ink printer, then use dye ink? Why not save the $ and buy the 9000? I would gladly trade my 9900 for your 9500.
Like I said here a few weeks ago:
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3076

I ordered the Pro9000 but it tuned out that they are out of stock and will be available in 3 weeks. So I'm trying to investigate what other options I have.

I know Pro9500 prints grayscale better, because it has dedicated gray ink cartridge.
A pigment printer is better printing dye ink vs. Dye pirnter with pigment ink that can result in clogged nozzles I taugt.

The only problems that really bother me are:

1. Ink monitorint release is possible or not
2. Instructions on how to refill PGI-9 (No sponge in these cartridges should last a lifetime)
Hi Smile,

The PGI-9 cartridges inside is totally spongeless except the exit port where they have sponge filter. And the exit port is larger than the CLI-8/PGI-5 port. There is a spring at the center and the a plastic film like some epson cartridges. The vent hole is at the back instead of front where we usually see in most Canon CLI-8/PGI-5Bk. That is about all that I know, sorry this will not be much of a help.

See this picture of illustration of the PGI-9.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Thanks for you help, I've seen this picture butwithout proper explanation what is where I doubt it makes any sense.

When did Pro 9500 was intriduced to market? 6 months back no? And still I can't google any threads anywhere about refill techniques etc.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Smile, below is a dissected PGI-9 cartridges. I think you could refill the cartridge by the top. Like the way HP 45 cartridges is being refill. But must maintain the inner negative pressure.

The problem is I don't know if the ink level monitor can be released via the reset button on the printer panel the way CLI-8 & PGI-5BK do. So even if you could refill the cartridge, whether it's able to release the ink monitoring so that the printer can accept a refilled cart is a major question. The PGI-9 bottom exit port is like the CLI-8 cartridges where has a sponge/filter except that the exit port & sponge/filter are bigger. But the PGI-9 cartridges still uses the capillary action of transfering ink from cartridge to printhead ink pickup port just like CLI-8 & PGI-5BK.

2671100153_f03b5935bd.jpg
2691745339_c3d6c12f0f.jpg

updated on 23 July: provided a picture of the PGI-9 exit port

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for you post lin it eplains alot of things.

So the refill technique could be to drill a hole at the top and inject ink using syringe or vaccum pump?
What about just place the cartridge with exit port in ink and use vaccum pump to fill it up?

The major question still: can one release ink monitoring on Pro9500, hope someone knows the answer.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Smile said:
Thanks for you post lin it eplains alot of things.

So the refill technique could be to drill a hole at the top and inject ink using syringe or vaccum pump?
What about just place the cartridge with exit port in ink and use vaccum pump to fill it up?

The major question still: can one release ink monitoring on Pro9500, hope someone knows the answer.
Hi Smile, sorry that I can't help to answer the major question.

I asked my friend who had the PGI-9 cart to dissect the cart sometime back as I was keen to take a look at the interior structure of this cartridge as I knew that PGI-9 cart was spongeless. I had been looking for refillable spongeless canon cartridges or cartridges with little spongle for the canon PGI-5 & CLI-8 series for quite a long time. While I found some spongeless canon cartridges for PGI-5 & CLI-8 series online, unfortuntately most of them that imitates the compatible Epson spongeless which are not very stable and reliable to ensure smooth consistent ink flow on Canon for standalone refill without CISS. So I was in discussion with my friend as I felt that since PGI-9 spongeless cartridges is stable being use on Canon printer, some manufacturer could probably review and explore the possibility if some modification could be adopted and researched or redesign to produce something similar that is stable for PGI-5 & CLI-8 series use.

If to refill at the top, some hole is certainly required inorder to inject ink. As far as I remembered during our discussion, he said the cartridge could refill in similar why as HP 45 cartridges and to ensure the inner negative pressure. Unfortunately, I had no idea how is HP 45 cartridges is being refill. As for the possibility of using vacuum pump to fill the ink into the PGI-9 cartridges via the exit port, I just updated the post #17 with a picture of the exit port so that you can assess the possibility of bottom vacuum refill via exit port yourself. As you can see, the PGI-9 exit port is bigger than PGI-5 & CLI-8 series because the printhead ink pickup ports for PGI-9 carts are bigger.

Well, that is about all that I know of PGI-9 carts.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Please correct me if I'm wrong:

The PGI-9 is a

1. Plastic container
2. With a plastic bag inside a.k.a mylar bag

The mylar bag is "soldered" to the side of the cart so you can remove the side and look inside. Does this procedure damage the bag?

What is the spring for?