Clogged Canon print head

bf_of_pf

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
panos said:
Perhaps the printhead priming mechanism for the MP130 does not work well. If you run on the same problem with your next cartridge, you have a good reason for asking for a replacement.

BTW, have you ever refilled a BCI-24 ?
I'll let you know how it goes. (And no, I've never tried to refill a BCI-24. The prices at Inkquick, $1.50/cart were so good I never bothered with refills.)

digitalartist71

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
this thread needs pinned! : ) very informative about the biggest problem Canon users have (welll....after using third party inks at least!).

i am wondering if the third party inks (pigment blacks that is) are causing major clogs, then the purge unit does it's thing, but burns up in the process...even after the head is removed, free blocakge, put back in, and still no printing, since the purge unit cannot prime it? i think pruge untis are under $30....so may be a worth a try?

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Actually what the thread needs is converting to a wiki or something like WordPress :)

Steph

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
digitalartist71,

hey, actually no it was the photo cyan that never cleared.

the black was the first one to clear, followed by yellow, then magenta, then cyan, then photo magenta.

but a brand new printhead with brand new canon inks is great, other inks may be cheaper at first but in the long run if they bugger up your printer, you've lost big time.

i'm all for genuine everything when it comes to quality!

bf_of_pf

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Man...I wish my problem with the MP130 would have remained simply no color printing. I noticed today that the MP130 is totally trashing my W2K Windows Explorer! I think it has something to do with the card reader that's integrated into the unit. As soon as I turn off the printer, everything sails along on my computer. As soon as I turn it back on, I can't even open up two Windows Explorer windows at the same time. One stays totally blank, and I keep getting "Not responding" errors. Somehow, this afternoon, I was able to print a bunch of things despite this P.I.T.A. problem; and the thing prints beautifully. But I think today I need to call Canon again and find out what's oging on. I uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers, but that didn't help. Has anybody else had this problem?

UPDATE: I checked at Broadband Reports.com and discovered an odd, but basically simple solution: In order to get things working properly with the MP130 it's necessary to put a memory card into the corresponding slot in order to ? initialize ? the whole setup so that it doesn't keep bogging down Windows Explorer. Once that's done, the problem goes away. And you don't need to leave the card in or anything; just put it in once, let it get read, then everything works ok. (Except my system is not giving me the option to "Safely Remove" the hardware (the card reader/mass storage drive, which, since it's part of the printer, triggers the warning when I turn off the printer) like it did when I had a standalone card reader. I'm not sure why not, but I can live with the Windows error message if/when I turn off the printer without having first "safely unplugged" it. I would NOT have wanted to live with the slow to a snail's pace system the way it was before it got straightened out.)

digitalartist71

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
anybody notice this gasket leak from grandad35 pix?

blown_gasket.jpg

Metallo

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a i865 and its printhead is for sure clogged, given that I have several printing problems and I refill.

One curiosity, since I read that you use compressed air, either most of you have a compressor at home or you buy compressed air.

Any of the two cases, can you provide me with the major characteristics I should look at if I want to buy a compressor for hobby use?

Thank you!
Alex

neilslade

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hmmmm, interesting to read all these reports.

A couple of notes:

1) I've used MIS ink for years, I have 5 printers, it doesn't clog any more than any other inks including Canon. Anyone who blames this ink for their problems- well, this hasn't been my experience at all, its been a wonderful product for me. Colorbat ink had the same reliability. I've bought brand new Canon carts that failed- so there you go. And I don't work for ANY ink company.

2) Prevention is worth a pound of cure. I say this on my ink web pages over and over-- print one good print a day, a test print, or every other day. This will keep your printer working. Let your printer sit unused for any length of time, you are asking for problems. That's just the nature of MICROSCOPIC nozzles. Accept the reality. NEVER let your printer sit without carts in the head-- even if they're empty. This reduces drying of any residual ink in the head.

3) I just got a "broken" i960 in the mail-- the owner could not unclog the head. I did it in about 7 minutes. Soaked the whole head in denatured alcohol for 5 minutes, then ran hot tap water through both sides of the head (bottom and top) for a few minutes-- voila, it worked perfectly on the first print I tried.

4) Most often, a "clogged head" is really a cart that is the problem. If you refill carts, this is extremely likely, if you don't, defective carts are not that uncommon- one that has been working fine for a while and that has plenty of ink- all of a sudden refuses to flow. Always try a different or new cart. All brands do this to some extent. I recently tried Arrow brand carts, 50% of them failed after a short while.

5) I have dismantled a print head-- this is an extreme measure, and does not guarantee success, so only try this as a very last resort, frankly, I've never had to do it with 5 Canon printers on which I've used for thousands and thousands of prints- all the methods above were enough. YOu can also break the lectronic ribbon connected to the nozzles- and this can not be repaired- so be EXTREMELY careful if you feel you need to do this.

Well, that's my 2 cents.
:)

http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/inktest.html

john cox

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I have just bought MIS inks for the first time based on reports from this forum.
I have also downloaded their free autoprint program and scheduled a daily one page print (They supply different JPG's) of all six colurs incuded in my IP6000.
Based on your advice Neil this should hopefully keep my print head from clogging.

Regards,

John

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
FYI: All of a sudden my yellow stopped printing. Completely died. It was so sudden and complete I thought I had run out of ink. The cart was 50% full so I ran a cleaning cycle... nothing. Replaced with a cart I knew was good... nothing. Ran another cleaning cycle... nothing. Absolutely no yellow.

What's odd is that the yellow was fine the day before and then it just died. No streaking, no ghosting, no nothin'!

I was in a hurry so I decided to do the easiest fix on my mental list of plugged nozzle remedies. I took out all the cartridges, removed the printhead and (don't kill me) ran the nozzles (inlet and outlet) under the tap. I used my syringe tool to force a little water at low pressure into the yellow.

I flung off as much water as I could and patted dry the really wet spots. I waited a few minutes (should have waited longer) and stuck the head back in. After a cleaning cycle everything was back to perfect.

I'll need to continue running nozzle checks and printing large color sheets to see if the problem is completely fixed. I wish I knew if the culprit was the ink, cartridge or something else.