Cli-8 question for top method re-fillers

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
This has probably at some point been answered but anyways....

So did one of my sets of carts with German method which went fine now decided to try top filling on my second set, but a quick query.

What do you experts do....
A) Remove the ball (IE under label just above where it says 'push' which is probably the conventional)

or

B) drill a hole to the little round dimple just below the label?

Any positives and negatives to either the making a hole in the dimple or ball remove method (if anyone has tried both methods)?

Just curious as it looks like you can get away with a smaller hole if you drill the dimple rather than remove the ball which in turn (well theory) should allow a plug to fit tighter.

Im guessing ultimately it makes little difference but would be nice for you long term experts to weigh in with opinions.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
You have framed the issue correctly. Little more need be said other than personal preference.

I use the Durchstich method for refilling but have top holes in some of my cartridges from when I used to purge (which I do not do anymore either). I have used both ways of top fill access and found both to work perfectly in the final seal that has lasted years. I prefer drilling the hole because I have never had an easy time getting the ball out.

Since I do not remove and reapply the silicone plug over and over again in the process of refilling, my experience may not correlate to someone who top fills. However, I do not recall any rash of posts about those who drill having "premature" failures as you might expect if the method is flawed compared to removing the ball.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I top fill because I was never comfortable using the German method plus add in a little bit of laziness because maybe I just didn’t want to change, top filling works for me and if it isn’t broke well..;)

I drill a 2 mm hole rather than try pull out the ball under the label because drilling is easier and I then seal the small hole with hot glue which works out perfect 99.5 times out of a hundred.. :D

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
i have tried to leave the ball in, and drill a 5/32 hole for a plug, i did not like the new hole i made as the wall of the of the cartridge is too thin and i didn't feel i get a good enough seal, when the ball is removed there is a "tube or collar" that extends down giving the plug more surface area which i feel gives a better seal, on the other hand maybe drilling a smaller hole as hat suggested with hot glue may work as well, as my 5/32 is for plugs

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
I hand drill a slightly undersized hole in the top (near the dimple) and use a silicone plug. The only issue I experience is re-aligning/re-installing the plug without getting ink on my fingers. It would be great if there was a simple tool to extract/hold those small plugs so they could be re-installed more easily. Been thinkin' of making one out of a sheet of shim stock. I use a cuticle cutter to get under the silicone "flange" and lift them out initially, but it could be better if it trapped and held the plug...

Never had one leak air (yet)...

Attachments

• cutter.jpg
    cutter.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 241

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Thanks for all the responses thus far guys. Decisions, decisions eh :confused: I think i may give removing the ball a try and if after the first cart that seems a PITA then go for the small hole to the dimple route. Glad it is personal preference more than anything though, means more options :)