CISS or Refill for PRO-100 ?

oreos

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma PRO-100
Pros and Cons: Which ink option is best for the Canon PRO-100?
CISS or Refill?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The only right answer to your question has to be refilling without dough, trying to fit and run a CISS on this printer would be an absolute nightmare ! :eek:

oreos

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma PRO-100
I just purchased the printer and have not even removed it from the box. I am trying to find a cost effective solution to manage ink and printing costs moving forward. I intend to use this for home prints and will not be using it every day.

Since I have never used a CISS, I am trying to get info (CISS vs Refill) and was hoping to get some feedback from other users.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I gave you my honest opinion regarding the use of a CISS on this printer, don’t even consider it, and just put that notion completely out of your head because a CISS has to be used very regularly just to maintain it in good working condition.

I have used six CISS units on different printers and now I refill all my cartridges because I found refilling to be the best and safest way to run a Canon printer.

The cheapest way to run the Pro 100 is to refill the OEM cartridges with good quality inks (Which are available) and a redsetter for the chips and your saving with be up to 75% cheaper than running it on OEM inks, now that can’t be bad ! ;)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Canon printers are notoriously difficult concerning CISS as reported on the forum. Refilling and printing something that uses all the cartridges once a week, such as a nozzle print, is the way to go with the Pro-100 for both cost effectiveness and ease of use.

If you do decide to go with a CISS then let us know your experience. We all learn from each other.

oreos

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma PRO-100
Thank you ... I really appreciate the feedback. I was contemplating a CISS but that appears to be a bad option.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
NO to CISS. Modify your OEM carts from refilling. Reset the chip with resetter currently available, and use the inks that are also currently available.
I am sure the folks that can help you PM you with the sources.
Are the results with these inks fabulous? YES!
Joe

oreos

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma PRO-100
Thanks Joe. Consensus appears to be that refills are the way to go.

I have located a chip resetter but want to find a proven vendor for quality ink. Ideally, I would also like to buy a complete set of empty cartridges that have been pre-drilled and have plugs. Please feel free to PM.

thank you

john

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Just ordered a deluxe kit with inks and chip resetter from Precision. :thumbsup
Great!

Be mindful of the Yellow ink jello that can form when you switch to aftermarket ink with this printer. It is a recent discovery and one you can steer clear of clogs in the print head and cartridge if you heed the instructions. Personally, I would not even use the OEM Yellow and go straight to Precision Colors Yellow in a flushed OEM Canon cartridge. See http://www.precisioncolors.com/PC42instruct.html.

If you bought a refill kit from Precision Colors then a flushed OEM cartridge for refilling Yellow is included.

Let us know how you like your new printer. She's a beauty. Happy printing trails to you.