Chip Resetter For Canon pgi-550 cli-551

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
Came across this linkl http://uk.alibaba.com/product/60080594526-Chip-Resetter-For-Canon-pgi-550.html

I thought that resetting chips on these carts was a no no, or have I missed something.

I know it's China but Alibaba, is the world’s largest online business-to-business trading platform for small businesses.

Are we likely to see these re-setters wisely available soon, or have I missed something and raised false hopes?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If it were me, I’d stick with the ARC's and refill carts because you know what you’ve got and you’ll have much better control over your refilling and printing success.

This new resetter is pretty good and works fine but there are a few anomaly like your must reset the chip at or before 20% ink left and then you’ll only get a couple of resets before the chip is un-resettable, then it’s time to buy another new OEM cart. !

The elephant in the room as far as I can see is still this fragile OEM paper chip and not the new resetter, now if it could reset the one time chips on the aftermarket carts then it would be a real winner and you could dump the OEM carts..

Pentode

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
ip8750 and ML3050
I personally don't like the idea -:

2. When the ink volume is less than 15%, you must reset the chips by resetter, or will cause error in the cartridge.

I think it would be better to use pre-filled ones so there can be no chances of 'popping' the nozzle's should you forget to manually check the ink level, not so bad for those that use CISS because when the bottle's empty the ink tanks ought be full.

Dave

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
2. When the ink volume is less than 15%, you must reset the chips by resetter, or will cause error in the cartridge.

This behaviour has been reported with OEM Epson cartridges. As the resetter for the Canon PGI-x50/CLI-x51 is new I think no reports for the behaviour of the resetter and Canon OEM chips exist yet.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
These resetters have been available for a short while already.

Check to see how many resets these resetters are good for. They have a limited number of times they can be used and you will then need to acquire another one. Typically 50 or 100 resets and the cost will vary respectively. The ONLY carts they make sense to be used on are the XL sized ones and the user must invest a considerable sum of money to get the XL ones first. For less funds than a set of XLs, you can acquire a set of compatibles with ARCs. In reality you should be comparing the cost of Canon XL sized carts, PLUS the cost of resetter against ARC compatibles.
The only place a resetter is justified is in a refill shop scenario where customers would bring in their OEM carts.

wilko

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma
I wasn't suggesting that these resetters were the best option yet but perhaps we are getting there at last. Previous resetters required you to reset the chip when the cartridge was down to 15% full. These resetters are a step up. Whose to say that cheap resetters may not became available like the CLi-8 ones. Even now 100 resets isn't bad if the resetter was cheap enough. I agree that it's not a good buy now but what if you could pick it up for a cli-8 equivalent price?

Empty Canon carts can be picked up on Ebay. Admittedly XL carts are difficult to come by. Personally I don't use compatible carts. I prefer to use refillable ones with ARC chips. However, if a cheap resetter becomes available, I'm going to give it a go.

You may be right but wouldn't it be great if we could get the better of Canon once again?

Tigerman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG5640, iX6840
Empty Canon carts can be picked up on Ebay. Admittedly XL carts are difficult to come by. Personally I don't use compatible carts. I prefer to use refillable ones with ARC chips. However, if a cheap resetter becomes available, I'm going to give it a go.

I bought three sets of ARC chips (pgi-450/cli-451) with compatible cartridges of 19$, its work perfect even I turn off printer level of ink not reset till you take out cartridge from printer.

Last edited: