CD Printing CLI8-BK or PGI5-BK used?

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
So decided to do some CD/DVD Printing which i have not for a long time, just wondering for JUST black TEXT printing on a CD/DVD does it use the CLI8-BK or PGI5-Bk cart?

Also any way to force it to use one over the other?

Im using the standard Canon CD-Label print software.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The printable disks have similar properties to photo paper, so only the dye CLI-8 cartridges are used. The pigment ink in the PGI-5 PGBK cartridge is only suitable for plain paper, not for photo paper or printable disks. A CD with black text only will be printed using the CLI-8 BK cartridge.

When the paper media is set to plain paper pigment black will be used for black printing. With photo paper and some other special papers selected as media dye ink will be used for black printing. So using dye black on plain paper and pigment black on photo paper is possible, but not recommended,

I see no way the printer can be forced to use pigment ink for CD printing and it would serve no purpose.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
A list I compiled for the Canon MP 830:

PGI-5 Pigment Black Ink is used ONLY For:
- Plain Paper Test (monochrome and grey scale)
- Envelopes
- Transparencies
- Duplex Printing On Plain Paper
- Camera Direct Printing on Plain Paper

CLI-8 Dye-Based Color Inks are used anytime color is printed and is used exclusively for:
- All Photo Paper types (including when Duplex printing)
- High Resolution Paper
- T-shirt Transfers
- CD-R's
- All Borderless Printing, on both PhotoPaper and Plain Paper

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Funny that because I recall printing a solid black CD Face with white text and the darn CD took 3 day to dry; did it use pigment or dye black ? :idunno

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Funny that because I recall printing a solid black CD Face with white text and the darn CD took 3 day to dry; did it use pigment or dye black ? :idunno

Are you sure it was a printable disk rather than a cheapy white top disk? (i made that mistake years ago) Glossy printables also take longer to dry than the matt versions although 3 days is not normal at all.

The reason i was curious is because printed disks do tend to fade over time. I, even when i bother rarely print pretty pictures and things to disk but was curious if when printing text i could force it to use pigment ink and thus (hopefully) prevent fading. Obviously it appears you can not :(

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Certainly could have been dye-based ink. Drying times a function of your environment, the image application's commands when constructing the image, the ICC profile's interpretation of the commands sent, and the quality and construction of the printable media used.

Whenever I had a lot of coverage with black or very dark colors -- images, not just text -- I would wait at least 24 hours before playing them in my player or else they would stick inside whilst the tray table came out like peanut butter on the roof of your mouth.

Addendum:
I print disks on highest quality setting only. This will increase the amount of ink laid down on the disk. I use Taiyo Yuden of various printable surfaces almost exclusively and some Falcon Media (Made in UAE) printable disks. Fantastic quality both of the printed results and the burn quality of the data.

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Inspired by this discussion I have tried to force pigment ink setting by trying out various settings in CD-Labelprint. Although it is possible to navigate to the media setting, changing the setting to plain paper or other media than a printable disk changes the paper source from CD tray to paper source selection switch, and you cannot print a disk, only a CD case inlay.

You can change the quality setting to draft, standard, and high. Using the high quality setting applies more ink to the disk and with some disks this might take some time to dry. There might be differences between printable disk brands. Photo prints also require a drying time.

I have also printed some disks with large black areas, I am using Taiyo Yuden disks and the default quality setting of "standard" and have not experienced problems with the drying time.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Inspired by this discussion I have tried to force pigment ink setting by trying out various settings in CD-Labelprint. Although it is possible to navigate to the media setting, changing the setting to plain paper or other media than a printable disk changes the paper source from CD tray to paper source selection switch, and you cannot print a disk, only a CD case inlay.
If Canon printers still follow the algorithm for the MP830 and similar class of printers then it is only dye-based inks as per my post above.

There might be differences between printable disk brands.
There absolutely is a difference, not just in the quality and character of the image reproduction but also in drying times.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
A couple of hours ago I made a test with a printable disk. I soaked Q-tips with pigment and dye black and wrote a "P" and a "D" on a printable disk. I also added a "+" sign written with dye ink and a Q-tip that was only moistened.

The "+" sign was dry to the touch almost immediately, but the "P" and the "D" were still not dry after two and a half hous of drying time. I had repeated the test on the lower half of the disk, and tested the water fastness of the ink. Under running warm water the pigment was most affected by rubbing it with the fingers. With an abrasive green kitchen sponge both inks could be washed completely away.

Photo paper also has a maximum amount of ink it can absorb. Exceeding that limit will cause problems with drying time and ink smearing. Photo paper seems better at absorbing and fixating ink than printable disks.

Here is the disk. It is seen that both the pigment and dye inks could be scratched off using a finger nail and that ink also smears. The plus sign was unaffected by rubbing and scratching.

CD-Test.jpg