Canon Service?

mswannie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MG3650, MG7550, MG7750
Before finding this amazing forum, which has solved my problem, I had the following conversation:

I......(official Canon Service for Greece): Yes?
Me: Is that I.....? Are you the official Canon Service centre?
I...... Yes.
Me: Well, I have this problem with my printer and it tells me to contact the Service Centre. It is still under guarantee. (Explains problem)
I...... Right. You have to send the printer here by courier. That will cost €40. Then it will cost €80 to fix the problem and something to send it back.
Me: But it's under guarantee. It is only 11 months old. Why do we have to pay?
I...... We are not Canon.
Me: But you are the official Canon Service centre.
I...... Yes, but we are not Canon.
Me: So, is there an actual Canon here?
I...... No.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Between this conversation you have had with Service, the telephone/internet debacles noted on a different thread, and no tasty deals on Canon Pro-100's... What did you Brits do to piss off the goddess Gaia? :hide

I may live in a city in America where the river once caught on fire and so did the mayor's hair, but, Canon has been good to us and the telephone works. :woot

mswannie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
:(
Between this conversation you have had with Service, the telephone/internet debacles noted on a different thread, and no tasty deals on Canon Pro-100's... What did you Brits do to piss off the goddess Gaia? :hide

I may live in a city in America where the river once caught on fire and so did the mayor's hair, but, Canon has been good to us and the telephone works. :woot
Well, I am not in the UK :(

jnug

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I often wonder how the expansion of internet commerce and the ability to ship just about anything anywhere meshes with what we commonly think of as "Customer Service" or "Product Support".

Sure most all larger commercial enterprise works for us here in the US. Just about everything that has some degree of attraction as a product is aimed at us here in the US. However there is going to come a time when we are no longer going to occupy that high ground. It will be interesting to see how we react to that....I suspect not well.

mswannie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
It's an interesting question. For us here in Europe we are often in a dilemma. We can buy products from any EU country but here we have had a few problems with after sales service because we have not bought the product in our country.
Sales tax is different in each country. Here it is 23% so most things are cheaper in Germany or the UK even with the shipping. But then the warranty is not valid. This should be resolved so there is a Europe wide warranty.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
IIRC the problem was that the printer was locked due to the absorber being full?

Maybe the guarantee has some limitations? Have you studied the "Fine Print"? I found a booklet with the conditions for the European Warranty System. Here are scans from the conditions for UK, they are similar for Denmark and possibly other European countries:

Canon EWS.jpg

Canon EWS1.jpg

So I think the absorber full is not covered by the warranty, it is "normal wear and tear" or "excessive use". Another thing that voids the warranty is the use of consumables that are not Canon OEM, for instance using refilled cartridges, so if you are going to have a Canon printer repaired under warranty, it must contain Canon OEM cartridges that has not been refilled, and the ink level monitoring must not have been disabled. The disabling of the ink level is stored in the EEPROM, and this will be read by the service centre using the service mode.

It can be discussed if the "normal wear and tear" limitation is fair enough, but IMO Canon should cover shipping costs, if you have a valid claim.

Warranties for cars/auto mobiles are often limited by both a warranty period and a covered mileage. I guess this might be comparable to the Canon warranty conditions

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
@PeterBJ I must congratulate you Peter, your energetic pursuit of problematic issues and supporting documentation is to be admired and appreciated by all users of this website. :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
LOL that warranty is not worth the paper it is written on. I assume if anything goes wrong it will need replacement parts and thats the whole point of a warranty, nice one there canon, infact i would not be shocked (can not be bothered to check in detail) if that statement is against the sale of goods act here in the UK.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Tell me about it,
I got exactly the same treatment when my printer was just out of warrantee.

I choose to transport the 60 km. to the Service centre, up and back twice (Saving €70) but had to admit I’d refilled my OEM cartridges, otherwise I was up for €325 for replacement cartridges supplied at my own expense.

I then had to pay €125 charge for a 1 minute software reset, later I had to purchase a new set of Compatible Cartridges (Chinese) another €175 Inc P&P to get the printer out of factory default and back working again.

Now if I wish to go on using my printer after the "absorbers message full" pops up which will be shortly I will have to return the printer to them again for yet another 1 minute reset, and so it goes on.

The moral of the story is stay away from any Canon Service if you can because it can end up being more expensive then buying a new printer and in my case it will be because they now have me by my short and curlys.

So if you have to go to Canon Service admit to using nothing other than OEM cartridges and inks otherwise your warrantee is void and it then starts to get expensive, so lie like hell guys.

In a Cop series a long time ago, they would say:- “ Let’s do it to them before they do it to us “ and when it comes to dealing with ANY Canon Service Centre I couldn’t agree more..

mswannie

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
IIRC the problem was that the printer was locked due to the absorber being full?

Maybe the guarantee has some limitations? Have you studied the "Fine Print"? I found a booklet with the conditions for the European Warranty System. Here are scans from the conditions for UK, they are similar for Denmark and possibly other European countries:

View attachment 1663

View attachment 1664

So I think the absorber full is not covered by the warranty, it is "normal wear and tear" or "excessive use". Another thing that voids the warranty is the use of consumables that are not Canon OEM, for instance using refilled cartridges, so if you are going to have a Canon printer repaired under warranty, it must contain Canon OEM cartridges that has not been refilled, and the ink level monitoring must not have been disabled. The disabling of the ink level is stored in the EEPROM, and this will be read by the service centre using the service mode.

It can be discussed if the "normal wear and tear" limitation is fair enough, but IMO Canon should cover shipping costs, if you have a valid claim.

Warranties for cars/auto mobiles are often limited by both a warranty period and a covered mileage. I guess this might be comparable to the Canon warranty conditions
Well, you are right of course and I didn't read the small print - I think you are the only one who has....but how do they know what ink you have been using if you take it out before you send it to them? Or put some originals back in...