Canon Pro 9500 ink tank not recognized

Andraz

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 9500
Hello!

Once again I have problems with my Canon Pro 9500 Mark I. The last time I had problems, this forum really helped and I am hoping for more of the same:)

The printer is giving the error message that the yellow ink tank cannot be recognized. I also get the 4 orange blinks in succession which also indicates that an ink tank is empty or not installed.

However, when I open the lid, the red light on the yellow ink tank is solid as if nothing is wrong. In the past, when I saw this message, the ink tank light was blinking or was off.

I have tried another yellow ink tank and it is giving me the same error. (It's old so there might be a possibility that it is also corrupt.)

Has anyone experienced this before or have any suggestions? I guess I should buy a new yellow OEM tank just to be sure. Other than this I have no idea what to do, so please help:)

Thanks

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have experienced the same problem a couple of times with an iP5200.

In the first case a CLI-8M cartridge would not be recognised after a refill and reset. A new reset made no improvement. Other cartridges behaved normally. I guess that the chip was damaged by a resetter running low on battery or maybe by static discharge.

The other case was caused by a broken contact spring for one of the chips. Changing the cartridges of course didn't help in this case. I replaced the contact block with one from a defunct iP4200. The contact blocks are individual for each cartridge. It was quite a fiddly job involving partial disassembly of the printer and removal of the print head carriage to get access to the chip contact blocks.

If you are lucky the contact springs for the yellow chip are not broken but might need cleaning. Use a Q-tip with isopropyl alcohol or an electronics contact cleaner for the cleaning.

I don't know if the contact blocks are identical for the PGI-5/CLI-8 printers and the Pro9500. If they are, you might find a defunct PGI-5/CLI-8 printer very cheaply and use that as a donor.

Here is a photo showing the chip contact springs in an iP4200 print head carriage:

dscn0394-jpg.4380

And here is a broken and an OK contact block: Need one?

iP4200 chip contact block2.jpg

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Andraz, it’s quite possible that your chip resetter is not resetting the cartridge chip correctly, that could be down to several things.

The battery maybe low on power causing this to happen or you may need to leave the cartridge in contact with the resetter a bit longer, say 4 or 5 seconds, the normal duration is 2 seconds with these chips.

The only other possibility would be that the chip has gone rogue and the data on it is corrupted, try using a chip from another cartridge, even the CLl-8 chips will work on your PGi-9 cartridge..

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
In my experience it happens from time to time a PGI-9 chip goes bad.
As my resetter is USB I don't think it can be caused by low voltage.

I have some 3th party cleaning cartridges (from people who tried to clean their printer in vain and sold it to me) where I can scavenge chips.

Didn't know the CLI-8 worked.

Andraz

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon 9500
Hi guys,

crisis averted thankfully:)

I bought a new yellow cartridge and it works fine. So apparently I had two faulty yellow catridges...

Thanks for your help

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you for the feed-back, nice to hear the printer is OK :)

If you are using a battery powered resetter, it might be a good idea to replace the battery/ies, as a resetter running low on batteries might damage the chip by not writing data properly.

Last edited: