Canon Pro 100 Difficulties

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
It's still a mystery why Magenta seems to be the channel affected the most. I'll leave to that to our experts here to figure out.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It's still a mystery why Magenta seems to be the channel affected the most. I'll leave to that to our experts here to figure out.
Ah come on Joe, we consider you to be a bigger expert; please don’t leave us all hanging.. :hu

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
You are way too generous!!!! I don't consider myself a CANON cart /Ink expert.
The Experts here are milking, websnail and of course The Hat. Others including I know more about EPSON but I can not claim I am in any way a CANON expert.

The reason I said I could bet it was magenta before even looking at the nozzle check is because I've gone through three print heads, all developed irreparable clogs on one or both Magenta channels.

Mike and I have gone through various scenarios and theories. Some made sense. Still the jury is out. I not only went through the heads but ended up throwing out a still great looking PRO 9000mkii.

I still have a new one but would need to purchase a head for it at $120-$135 to get it set up.
I will stick with the PRO-100s for now and home I don't end up with a magenta clog.

Joe

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hold on a second Joe, I never said you’re an expert on Canon, your more like a genius and an expert on Epson, no question about that.

I reckon the jury’s is still out on these print heads also but I lean towards a design fault because it happening far too often for it to be anything else.

So long as you keep refilling when your carts show low then you shouldn’t have any problems, and here’s the BUT what if they haven’t fixed design fault in the Pro 100 heads either ? :hide

There are so many others using the Pro 100 on only OEM ink so time will tell.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
It is now well known that the CLI-42 Yellow ink causes gelling that can clog the print head, if mixed with refill ink or even water when flushing the cartridges. Could other OEM CLI-42 inks also have this property?

Bithead

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
PeterBJ,

My thoughts when this first occurred, However, the Magenta block did not clear as it did with the Yellow block. It seemed you could clear the yellow blockage with some hot water and some windex but the magenta block is permanent, will not clear with anything.

When I called Canon Tech Support and told them that I had a magenta blockage in my Pro-100 print head they could not get my address fast enough to send me a new print head.

I tend agree with The Hat, that there is a design fault in the print head, while this appears to be blocked nozzles nothing clears them and they seem to become permanent and do not change - once the nozzles are blocked they stay blocked.

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
It is now well known that the CLI-42 Yellow ink causes gelling that can clog the print head, if mixed with refill ink or even water when flushing the cartridges. Could other OEM CLI-42 inks also have this property?

That is always a possibility except that all my three print head failures due to magenta clogs were on a PRO9000MKII that had been printing without any problem. Not a heavily used printer either and one that NEVER showed any type of clogging problems.

Mikling theorized a heating of certain channels (?) of the print head while the printer was idle and left on, which mine stayed on 24/7 would bake ink inside the nozzles which rendered it un-dissolvable.

Joe

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The Pro 9000 MK II is a CLI-8 printer so it should not be affected by the CLI-42 gelling problem, maybe mikling's leaky power transistor theory is correct?

Normally a Canon print head does not heat when the printer is turned on but is idle. So a bad series of print heads (or logic boards?) is a possibility.

But the Pro 100 uses a print head that is different from the one used in the Pro 9000 MK II. Maybe the Pro 100 print head is also bad, since the Canon service offered Bithead a new print head (for free?).

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
But the Pro 100 uses a print head that is different from the one used in the Pro 9000 MK II. Maybe the Pro 100 print head is also bad, since the Canon service offered Bithead a new print head (for free?).
The Pro 9000 has the same head design as the Pro 100 does and my theory is that there may be a design fault in all of the eight cartridge type print heads, and if that’s the case then we’re lightly to see more failures in the Pro 100 heads also..:(