Canon PIXMA MP830 - update; 6500 error code

jmmatlock

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
An update to my first post. I used some Windex on the pad where the print head parks. This worked slightly - the pgbk line on a nozzle check came out about 50% (just the top 1/2 printed). I figured I'd let it sit over in the parked position and see if it helped, but when I tried to print another nozzle check, the print cartridges/heads parked on the left side of the printer, and my screen flashed ERROR 6500 and the Alarm and On/Off buttons were flashing continuously. Nothing in the manual about error 6500, so I called Canon Customer service. They said to take it in for service to a local provider.

Question 1: Service fee is $39.95 for diagnosing the problem (fee is waived if I have them fix said problem). Has anyone had this particular error, and can you tell me upfront if I'm going to be wasting $40 because the fix is going to be too expensive? I've already lost nearly $100 just in wasted ink trying to fix this, and don't feel like throwing more money away if I'm going to have to end up with a new printer anyway.

Question 2: If a new printer is needed, what's the recommendation? I did a ton of research before purchasing this one and it fits my needs perfectly. I don't use the fax function (no hard line phone), but I scan, copy, and print. 95% of my print needs are black & white (we homeschool 4 kids, and use a lot of reproducible curriculum), but I also print photos and the occasional newsletter or flyer, so I need the color too. But having the separate colors is an absolute must! I need the ADF - there's no way I'm hand-scanning 400+ pages at a time! My current computer doesn't have a compact flash reader, so having that built-in to the printer is a plus. I have a 64-bit OS, and right now I have to be hard-wired to print from my computer (can't find a wireless print server that works with the MP830 AND a 64-bit OS); a wireless printer that would work with the 64-bit OS would be fantastic - I hate being tethered to the printer. Cost is not a big factor, but longevity is. I don't mind spending a lot upfront, as long as the printer is going to last a LONG time (this one lasted 4 years, and IMO that is not nearly good enough).

Thanks for any input!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
According to the MP800 Service Manual:

2-2. Service Call Errors (by Cyclic Blinking in Orange (Alarm LED) and Green (COPY button), or
Alarm LED Lit in Orange)

Service call errors are indicated by the number of cycles the Alarm LED and COPY button blink, and the corresponding error
code is displayed on the LCD.

*Cycles of blinking in orange (Alarm LED) and green (COPY button) - 20 times

*Other hardware error - Error

*Error Code - [6500]

*Conditions - The PCI bus error is detected by the ASIC.

*Solution (Replacement of listed parts, which are likely to be faulty) - Logic board ass'y

Among the printers I would consider is the HP Photosmart Premium Fax All-in-One Printer, Scanner, Fax, Copier (http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/...XK7DWMGrxmwHyxcy9wXFqGsRzz6KQ41yDL!1696067648). Supposedly the extra large cartridges are refillable (not the standard smaller cartridges that come with the printer) and there are successful CIS systems available (as seen on this forum).