Canon Pixma MP780 Scanner Error

NsearchofInfo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello All,
My MP780 keeps blinking "scanner error". Does anyone know what that means and what I can do to fix it? Printing documents from the computer are not an issue however, when I send a fax or scan a document it comes out very dark on one side. Thank you in advance for all your help...

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I don't really know about your specific problem but when I had an MP780 with a scanner that wouldn't work at all, I swapped it with a known good scanner but it didn't fix the problem so I blamed it on an electrical problem in the motherboard. In your case, since your scanner is doing something, it might work to replace the scanner. Where are you located?

NsearchofInfo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
i have an all in one system. Wouldn't i have to buy a whole new system? The other functions work fine. i just have an error message and fax's are dark on one side. There has to be an easier fix

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You could buy a whole new (used) MP780. I see that someone in Murrieta is selling one on craigslist for $120 or best offer. I have purchased several MP780s in the L.A. area for an average of $75 so I think that is way overpriced. I called the seller and asked her to do a nozzle check and she reported that there are missing nozzles in both the pigment black and the dye inks. I informed her that a new print head would cost $55 which to me means the printer is worth $20, at least that is all I would pay for it. I have tried to unclog many print heads on used printers and they either clean up very quickly or they never clean up. She is still using this printer so I doubt that it will clean up.

But it may be that you could swap scanners and get yours working for less money (but more work). If you're not in a hurry, maybe I could help you.

In the mean time, I would be interested in seeing a scan of something that has the problem. Use the upload link at the top of this page if you want to do this.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
If it doesn't scan at all, I would say it's time to replace the printer.