Canon Pixma 780 "Waste Ink Near Full" message

esptravel

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if anybody could help me with this error message " Wast Ink Near Full". I tried some
Google research on this error but still doesnt help. By the way where can I find the waste ink pad ?

thanks

edsel

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You're not going to find the waste ink pad unless you take your printer totally apart (which you really don't want to do). The waste ink pad runs all along the bottom of the printer. Most people reset the counter and let the waste ink pad continue to collect ink. It can hold a lot. For the reset code, see this thread:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=24601#p24601

esptravel

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi ghwellsjr, thank you very much it works. I really do appreciate your help. It saves me time and money.

edsel

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
You're very welcome and thanks for the feedback, it helps everyone to know when someone succeeds.

regkaz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Has anyone accessed the pad reservoir at the bottom of the printer? I've never seen any pictures but if the location is at the very bottom of the unit the following might make sense.

Is it possible to "map" the location of the pad and cut an access panel with a dremel? Can a hole be cut in the bottom of the printer, the pads pulled out for cleaning, then placed in a plastic cup (you could probably make a reservoir cup from plastic strips and silicone caulk) and reinserted from the bottom? This would permit easy emptying saving the $100 Canon emptying fee. Any thoughts?

Regkaz

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
regkaz said:
Has anyone accessed the pad reservoir at the bottom of the printer? I've never seen any pictures but if the location is at the very bottom of the unit the following might make sense.

Is it possible to "map" the location of the pad and cut an access panel with a dremel? Can a hole be cut in the bottom of the printer, the pads pulled out for cleaning, then placed in a plastic cup (you could probably make a reservoir cup from plastic strips and silicone caulk) and reinserted from the bottom? This would permit easy emptying saving the $100 Canon emptying fee. Any thoughts?

Regkaz
Not far off what I was about to suggest... Instead of pulling out the pads though I would leave them in situ and instead raise place the printer so it's sited over a drip tray (like changing the oil on your car) and regularly clean that out.

I am looking at some options for kits, and in particular trying to figure out the options available for the multifunctional printers because as someone already pointed out, taking the MP series requires a complete disassembly to get even close!

regkaz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
websnail said:
Not far off what I was about to suggest... Instead of pulling out the pads though I would leave them in situ and instead raise place the printer so it's sited over a drip tray (like changing the oil on your car) and regularly clean that out.

I am looking at some options for kits, and in particular trying to figure out the options available for the multifunctional printers because as someone already pointed out, taking the MP series requires a complete disassembly to get even close!
I use a small stand for my MP780. A hole drilled in the bottom of the MP780 for draining over a second hole in my printer stand would easily let me insert an ink catch cup. You could even make it more like a car's oil change by cutting the hole in the stand large enough to flush-mount a cheap funnel. Any idea if the head cleaning / priming system relies on an air tight seal in the pad area? If not, it appears websnail has the most viable solution.

Now all we need is someone who has stripped one of these down to the pads to mark the location of the pads and take some photos with a ruler on the unit so we know where to drill.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
regkaz said:
Any idea if the head cleaning / priming system relies on an air tight seal in the pad area? If not, it appears websnail has the most viable solution.
It shouldn't... The MP780 is the same print engine as the iP4000 and that's one I did strip down and look at... It uses the same sort of suction pump as most inkjet printers and just dumps the ink to the pads.

Now all we need is someone who has stripped one of these down to the pads to mark the location of the pads and take some photos with a ruler on the unit so we know where to drill.
:) Yup.... Wave drill around...

Shame I dumped my dead MP750 but that's something I can't undo now.

regkaz

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Ouch - finally found a free assembly photo of an MP780. Very scary. It appears the pads are layers with the main ones running near the center, left to right, spanning almost the full width of the printer.

I forgot the paper cassette is on the bottom. That means any holes would drip into the cassette. Still, if you're like me, you store 4x6 photo paper in the cassette leaving plenty of room on the left for an ink catch cup to be added.

Ric