Canon MX870 service mode ?

OneWithInk

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the correct procedure to enter service mode on the Canon MX870? I have found numerous methods for other Canon printers, but none seem to work on this model.

Thanks

(This is a great site, and I have gotten lots of good information from it.)

-----------------------------
Printers: Canon MX870 - Using refillable cartridges and ink from MIS ink (inksupply.com)
Epson Artisan 810 w/ CISS (piano-key style)
Dead (awaiting repair): Canon MX850, and Canon MP830

OneWithInk

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks to The Hat for the quick reply. However, the link provided is for the Users Manual, and I find nothing in it about accessing the Service Mode. I think I would need the Service Manual instead (which I would dearly love.) Anyone else know the correct key sequence to access the Service Mode on the Canon MX870? (Or where I could get a free/safe Service manual?)

Thanks,
OneWithInk

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
OneWithInk I have found numerous methods for other Canon printers, but none seem to work on this model.
If you havent already tried this one then give it a go, its fairly old but you never know.
nifty-stuff.com Start with the printer OFF
1. Hold down RESUME and then hold down POWER
2. release RESUME (while still holding down the POWER)
3. press RESUME twice, then release POWER
4. The green light will blink and the printer will make some noise. Wait until this is finished, you are now in the printer's diagnostic mode.

To select one of the functions below, use the RESUME button and then press POWER to execute:

# of RESUME Presses - Light Color - Function

0 - green - Power Off
1 - orange - Service Test Print: Extended nozzle check pattern
2 - green - EEPROM information print
3 - orange - EEPROM initialize
4 - green - reset waste ink counter (For the Canon waste tank full error)
There are other options beyond these first 5, but from what I hear they do things that you don't want to mess with.
The service manual is available for the mx870 but it will cost you..

rbf351

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
i know this post i a little old, but i found it on google

i was able to get into the service mode of the printer, but once i let go of the buttons it shows service mode on the display, and then says idle under that. pushing the resume button does not change the lights or functions, and all i can do is press the power button to get out of service mode.